JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Samsung HW-Q70T Soundbar Disconnects from HDMI ARC For No Reason

(Topic created: 08-02-2020 02:38 PM)
useraVpGfX3rDj
Asteroid
Options
Home Theater

I just purchased the Samsung HW-Q70T 3.1.2 Soundbar with Dolby Atmos and have it connected to a Samsung 7 Series tv via the HDMI ARC ports on both the tv and soundbar.  When watching tv via our DirecTv receiver or streaming a movie on Disney+ or even playing the PS4, the HDMI Arc will randomly disconnect and switch over to the tv speakers for no apparent reason.  Then the soundbar display screen cycles through HDMI, BT Pairing, BT Ready, etc.  I then have to press the source button on the soundbar remote or turn it off/on to get the HDMI ARC to connect again so that sound can be heard through the soundbar again.  Anyone have any ideas on whether or not this is a defect or if there is a way to fix this issue?  Thanks in advance.

14 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
Home Theater

Please go to Settings>Support and provide the full model code and current software version of the television.

Are there any other devices connected to the soundbar besides the TV?

0 Likes
useraVpGfX3rDj
Asteroid
Options
Home Theater

Model Code: UN55RU7100FXZA

Software Version: T-MSLAKUC-1360.9

There are no other devices directly connected to the soundbar.  I do have a wireless DirecTv Genie mini receiver and PS4 connected to the TV's HDMI ports.

Thank you.

0 Likes
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
Home Theater

Have you connected the soundbar to Smart Things? Have you checked for available updates?

0 Likes
useraVpGfX3rDj
Asteroid
Options
Home Theater

Yes, I connected to the Smartthings app and I see a message that states "The latest version is already installed."  Version 1.6.49-413.

I was watching TV last night and the soundbar disconnected again after about an hour.  I adjusted the volume periodically during that timeframe so I don't imagine it's a "power-save" issue.  The issue occurred while watching Disney+ as well as watching programming via DirecTv receiver.

0 Likes
useraVpGfX3rDj
Asteroid
Options
Home Theater

I may have identified the issue.  I originally connected the TV to the Soundbar using an Insignia 12ft 4K Ultra HD HDMI High Speed with Ethernet cable purchased from Best Buy. This Insigna HDMI cables states it supports up to 18 Gbps, is compatible with Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD, supports ARC, etc.

However, tonight I tried the 4ft HDMI cable that was included with the speaker and so far so good.  No disconnects while playing PS4, streaming on Disney+ or viewing programming via DirecTv receiver.   I will continue to monitor over the next few days, and if it works fine I will assume it's the HDMI cable I was using.

If so, are there any particular brands of cable or specs that you would suggest?  I need a cable long enough to run through a wall cavity as I have the tv mounted on a wall and don't want cables showing.  Thank you.

0 Likes
Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
Home Theater

Thanks for the update! I have had similar issues with cables longer than 6 ft so definitely only use whatever you need.

Technically, it sounds like the Insignia meets all of the necessary points, however, standardization in TV/Audio is hit or miss.

I would measure exactly what you need and try a different/better brand cable.

useraVpGfX3rDj
Asteroid
Options
Home Theater

I thought this was resolved but apparently it's not because the soundbar started disconnecting again for no apparent reason.  Has to be a defective unit.  I will attempt to exchange at Best Buy.

0 Likes
useraVpGfX3rDj
Asteroid
Options
Home Theater

I received a new soundbar from Best Buy the other day and hooked it up using the original (Insignia) HDMI cable I installed and everything is working like it should.  So the original soundbar I received was definitely defective.  Just FYI for any other people that may experience this issue.  Thanks.

0 Likes
userPyUr77mt6e
Constellation
Options
Home Theater

I just hooked up my SAMSUNG HW-Q70T 3.1.2ch soundbar and am having the same issue with the soundbar disconnecting.  I am using the stock cables with no luck.  Is there any way to do a factory reset on the soundbar?  I would like to try a few more options before I try to send back.

Thanks!