JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Black stainless steel appliance exterior peeling

(Topic created: 12-05-2020 05:34 PM)
userSQEuT1pVfs
Astronaut
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

My appliances are peeling, I'm pretty disappointed considering the amount of money I spent. I can't believe how poor quality they are, Samsung should be ashamed of selling low-quality products and ripping customers off, it's unacceptable and they need to take responsibility.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
MrLarry
Neutron Star
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Hello, Everyone. I'm terribly sorry to see these posts and understand the frustration completely. There are various variables to consider when trying to determine why such as thing as this occurs including environmental factors and maintenance of the units. 

The representatives are correct in the fact, that the one-year limited manufacturer's warranty does not cover cosmetic damage, cracks, peeling, or scratches. A lot of times these may even be considered physical damage as well, which is also not covered. 

The best course of action, if you're experiencing this and want a resolution,  would be to have a technician evaluate the unit, to have this repaired. You can utilize the following link to locate an authorized servicer in your area: Http://www.samsung.com/us/support/service/location 

Alternatively, you may be able to reach out to our parts team to see if there is touch-up paint or parts available to replace the current ones.

Phone: 1-800-627-4368

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

View solution in context

0 Likes
31 Replies
userZOfiQhz0yU
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

I'm wondering the same thing. My started peeling as well not even a year old. Do a quick google search and find all consumers are struggling too. Would be interested as well! Thinking about reaching out to CBC marketplace about the issue. Clearly this is an ongoing issue that has yes to be resolved. Seeing the issuing dating back 3 years is unfortunate why weren't these appliances taken off the market? 

useriwl91Nfk2y
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub
12:25 PM
I understand, black stainless finish is coming off.

The limited warranty covers manufacturing defects in materials or workmanship encountered in normal household, noncommercial use of this product and shall not cover the following: cosmetic damage including scratches, dents, chips, and other damage to the product's finishes.

yes on top edge above knobs

12:26 PM
its not scratched

12:26 PM
or damaged its just coming off

12:27 PM
Could you please share pictures ?

12:27 PM
I will send an SMS text and you can attach pictures to that text and share it with me. Is that okay?
useriwl91Nfk2y_0-1623701269777.jpeg

Upload is successful.

12:32 PM
ok

12:33 PM
Thank you for sharing pictures.

12:34 PM
I see, Samsung provides warranty warranty for technical issues unlike cosmetic damage paint peeling off or chip off. I can provide part team contact details where you can purchase touch paint to coat your range.

12:36 PM
we had an LG and the finish peeled off around the oven door handle we had hoped Samsung would be better

12:38 PM
apparently not we have been very gentle with cleaning I guess black stainless is just to look at and not use and you should tell your customers that

12:38 PM
I would like to inform you that Samsung manufactures quality products which undergo rigorous testing before they are packed and released to the market.

12:39 PM
the proof is in the picture that it isn't quality

12:43 PM
Samsung provides warranty on technical issues unlike cosmetic damage. If there was an option for warranty service definitely I would have done it for you.

12:43 PM
so how can i get your band-aid fix for my problem

12:45 PM
You can purchase touch paint from parts team to coat or we can schedule service so tech can fix it for you.
userOjxPxjddjt
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

My range is peeling around the oven handle plus my display is scrolling again. I'm so frustrated. 

userdr3g7gYTkI
Astronaut
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

I am interested in this as well. We had purchased the stove, microwave, dishwasher and fridge with this coating and all are having spots of peeling in different places. Spent way too much for this to be an issue. We are also having issues with the ice maker now as well as buttons not working on the microwave. Very disappointed that Samsung allowed for this low quality and is not standing behind it and acknowledging the issue.

userRpe9MeWYNb
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

i purchased brand new Samsung black stainless stove, dishwasher, refrigerator and microwave from Lowes with the extended warranty. All of them has the black stainless peeling off. They are all spotty and horrible to look at. I paid over $7500 for this poorly made product. when I called and email Samsung like many other consumers they said it cosmetic and nothing they can do about it. I call Lowes and they said Samsung consider it cosmetic. NO where in Samsung guide or did a Lowes sales person tell me the the black stainless is a cheap paint that would peel of they market it as STAINLESS! What they did say was it as fingerprint resistant. i guess they consider when you touch it that the paint peeling off on your finger makes in fingerprint resistant. Then l went on Samsung consumer page and there are tons of other people claiming the same thing so to me that is a poorly made product and a SAMSUNG SCAM they will not do anything about.  I purchased black stainless and now my new remodel kitchen is ruined. I will never purchase or recommend Samsung again. who started a class action lawsuit, I need to join in.

user5t1D8q1S94
Astronaut
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

I would also like to be included in any class action suit.  I have a $3300 black stainless refrigerator purchased 10-31-2017 that began peeling after just 16 months.  The peeling is now quite severe, affecting all 4 doors, and has resulted in extensive rust in places where the finish has peeled. Despite Samsung's claims, the finish is not "purely cosmetic"; its function is to protect the unit from damage due to rust,  and it has FAILED in this function.  Eventually it will rust through the surface of the door and compromise the ability of the refrigerator to insulate and keep food cold.  

This problem with the finish clearly constitutes a manufacturing defect.  Samsung knows this is a problem for all of their black stainless appliances; the finish is a film so thin they cannot possibly have expected it to last.  It is completely irresponsible to manufacture it in this way.

Even if one were to accept Samsung's contention that the finish is "purely cosmetic," this is not a sufficient reason for Samsung to evade responsibility for manufacturing and selling a defective product.  The cosmetic features of appliances are a major selling point of great importance to consumers.  Appliances are explicitly marketed and sold as objects that are supposed to improve the appearance of your kitchen.  The peeling finish is directly contradictory to that function.

Moreover, the marketing of these appliances is deceptive and arguably fraudulent.  They are marketed as stainless steel, but are clearly "fake stainless," as demonstrated by their vulnerability to rust.  A previous class action lawsuit was filed in Florida, Ferris v Samsung, based on the false marketing of appliances as stainless steel when they are in fact just a thin film over top of a non-stainless material.  Sadly that lawsuit was voluntarily withdrawn with no settlement benefiting the larger class.

userF7cumeyFzg
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

IMG_4491-Range.jpgIMG_4492-Range2.jpgI spent $3500 on a refrigerator and range, in 2018. Both are peeling. I was not told that this could happen when I purchased this product. I have never used anything abrasive to clean, nothing besides a soft cloth and soap and water. I want a refund!!! 

userdr3g7gYTkI
Astronaut
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

We purchased the whole set:  stove, microwave, dishwasher, and refrigerator  a couple years ago and spent thousands to do so thinking Samsung was a great brand and had not only the cosmetic look we were looking for but the aspects of that coating that were wanted as well. We now have 4 items that are all peeling and not working in some fashion or another with Samsung not standing behind any of it. Fridge has peeling and now an icemaker that is malfunctioning, a dishwasher that doesn't wash on half of the bottom rack, big time peeling on the stove, and a microwave that has peeling around the handle and film over the buttons along with some of the buttons not always working everytime. Very disappointed and would be very interested in joining a suit as it has been a waste of money to not get what was advertised. 

Also, the peeling issue started well over a year ago and Samsung said it was not covered as it was just a cosmetic issue.

userpoEjQg9Api
Constellation
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

omg..my stove and microwave is also peeling.  I paid so much for them.  Samsung won't do anything to replace them....  I regret so bad buying Samsung...My kitchen looks horrible also,