JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Strange icon (no power?) on freezer in counter-depth four-door (RF24R7201SR/AA)

(Topic created: 11-25-2023 07:41 AM)
carpandean
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

After making dinner last night, including repeatedly opening and closing Fridge and FlexZone sections without an issue (lights on as usual), my daughter went to get a drink from the Fridge.  She yelled to me that the "lights in the fridge aren't coming on!"  I verified that none of the lights would come on when any door/drawer was opened, and noticing that the interior control panel only lit when I pressed a button on it (though, indicator light on exterior ice/water dispenser remained lit.)

I did some Googling, thought it might be Sabbath Mode, but holding the two appropriate buttons did nothing, even with the panel lock off.  Tried putting it into and then out of demo mode.  Still nothing.  I did notice a strange symbol - lightning bolt inside a circle with line through it (like "no power" or something like that) - next to the temperature in the Freezer section of the control panel.

At this point, the Freezer was up to 10F (without opening it much) and the fridge was at 45F, using a dual remote (wireless) thermometer.  The fridge seemed like it might be coming down slowly after I left it shut, but not the freezer.  So, I unplugged it, waited 5 minutes, plugged it back in, and then waited with the doors closed.  The fridge came down to 34F (had set it low when trying things earlier) reasonably quickly, and then the freezer went down to -2F (again, had set it low) more slowly.  I opened the fridge door just to verify that the lights were working again, which they were.  So, I set it back to 37F/0F, as recommended by Samsung, and left it for the night.

This morning, everything was perfectly at 37F/0F (well, 36.8F and 0.2F), but I did notice that the lightning bolt symbol was still next to the Freezer temp.  I opened and closed the freezer door quickly, and saw that the temp went up to 2.2F before slowly coming back down. 

It seems like everything is working (though, freezer may be slow), but I would like to know what that lightning bolt symbol is.  Again, it seems like "low power" or "no power", and it's blue, not red, seeming to indicate a mode, rather than a problem.  Maybe, it's just something normal that I hadn't noticed before.  In searching the manual and online, though, I haven't found it anywhere. 

Thanks, in advance, for any help.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
SamsungAl
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

It sounds like the Override Mode was engaged. Try the following steps to see if this removes the icon:

1. Press and hold Freezer for 3 seconds.
2. A buzzer sounds and ‘Or’ and ‘on’ is displayed in the freezer and fridge temperature
displays for 5 seconds. Then the Peak Demand Off (Override mode) icon turns on.
3. If the refrigerator receives a SMART GRID (Demand Response) signal from the utility
company, ’Or’ is displayed in the freezer temperature display.
4. To deactivate Peak Demand Off (Override mode), press and hold Freezer for 3 seconds.
5. A buzzer sounds and ‘Or’ and ‘oF’ is displayed in the freezer and fridge temperature
displays for 5 seconds. Then the Peak Demand Off (Override mode) icon  turns off

You can learn more about this in the user manual starting on page 50: https://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/202106/20210623134419044/FDR_AW4-CD_FL_DA68-03832A-05_...

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

View solution in context

3 Replies
carpandean
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

I did find a similar icon in a generic search, which indicated it was a "power outage" symbol, and we did have a brief outage last week.  There are references to such an indication on Samsung (and other brand) fridges.  Some suggesting unplugging up to 10 minutes, while others talk about pressing and holding two buttons (haven't seen it specifically for the fridges with the internal panel.)

0 Likes
Solution
SamsungAl
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

It sounds like the Override Mode was engaged. Try the following steps to see if this removes the icon:

1. Press and hold Freezer for 3 seconds.
2. A buzzer sounds and ‘Or’ and ‘on’ is displayed in the freezer and fridge temperature
displays for 5 seconds. Then the Peak Demand Off (Override mode) icon turns on.
3. If the refrigerator receives a SMART GRID (Demand Response) signal from the utility
company, ’Or’ is displayed in the freezer temperature display.
4. To deactivate Peak Demand Off (Override mode), press and hold Freezer for 3 seconds.
5. A buzzer sounds and ‘Or’ and ‘oF’ is displayed in the freezer and fridge temperature
displays for 5 seconds. Then the Peak Demand Off (Override mode) icon  turns off

You can learn more about this in the user manual starting on page 50: https://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/202106/20210623134419044/FDR_AW4-CD_FL_DA68-03832A-05_...

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

carpandean
Asteroid
Options
Kitchen and Family Hub

Thanks!  That did it.

0 Likes