JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Low brightness and poor black detail

(Topic created: Wednesday)
RFcomms
Constellation
Options
LED and OLED TVs

I just purchased an S90C OLED (QN65S90CAFXZA). When using any source, including the included apps as will as a Roku stick, the settings: brightness, gamma & shadow detail, have to be maxed out in order to get enough brightness. Bright outdoor scenes are a little too bright, but darker indoor or night scenes are dark and have very little detail.

I've been through the picture modes. expert settings and anything else I could find. Is there something I'm missing?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Samsung_Moderator
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
LED and OLED TVs

Hey RFcomms, welcome to the community! I know this recent purchase must have been exciting and it will be my pleasure to help keep it that way.

We can try a couple of things to get your tv looking right as rain.

1. Adjust the brightness level on the TV.

The brightness level can be adjusted from 0 - 50. Press the Home button. Then navigate to Settings Picture > Expert Settings > Brightness. Turn the brightness up or down until you are happy with the way it looks.

2. Enable Intelligent Mode

Intellegent Mode will adjust the brighness automatically depending on the content being displayed. Press the Home button. The navigate to Settings >  General > Intelligent Mode Setting.

3. Try a different picture mode

Change the picture mode to a different option to see if the brightness looks more appealing. Press the Home button. Then navigate to Settings > Picture > Picture Mode.

Update the firmware over the network

If your TV is connected to the internet, follow these steps:

1. Press the Home button on your remote.
    2. Navigate to and select Settings (gear icon).
    3. Navigate to Support > Software Update > Update Now.
    4. Your TV will check for the update and should start downloading the update.
    5. After the update is installed the TV will shut down and restart.
    6. Once the TV restarts, press and hold the Power button on your remote until the TV turns off and back on.

If the abnormal colors, double images, or ghosting continues after the firmware update please contact us.

Download the firmware from Samsung.com

If your TV is not connected to the internet, follow these steps to update the firmware:

1. On your computer, navigate to the support page for your TV.
    2. Click Downloads, and download firmware version 1301.5.
    3. Extract the firmware to the root of a USB thumb drive. (Do not put it in any folders on the thumb drive.) If you do not have a USB thumb drive, you can find one on our website.
    4. Connect the USB thumb drive to a USB port on your TV.
    5. Navigate to Settings > Support > Software Update, select Update Now, and then select Yes.
    6. The TV will install the update and then restart.
    7. Once the TV restarts, press and hold the Power button on your remote until the TV turns off and back on.

Perform a picture test and review.

On 2021 TV models: Navigate to Settings, select Device Care, and then select Self Diagnosis. Select Picture Test, select OK and then view the picture test. You can select Yes if the picture looks normal, No if there is a problem with the picture, or Show again to see the picture a second time. 

• On previous TV models: Navigate to Settings, select Support, and then select Self Diagnosis. Select Picture Test, and then follow the on-screen directions.

Perform a Factory Reset

Open Settings, and then select General.

Select Reset, enter your PIN (0000 is the default), and then select Reset.

To complete the reset, select OK. Your TV will restart automatically.

If these steps don't match your TV, navigate to Settings, select Support, and then select Self Diagnosis.

If this doesn't help I recommend following bill-e advice as you may be within your retailer's return window. 

If you feel service is the answer:

We would like to gather additional information and look at this from a case-by-case basis, please provide the full model code and serial number of the device as well as your best contact phone number, name, and email.

Send a message on Facebook

Send Message on Twitter

Send Message to Moderator

If your unit is out of warranty and you would like to receive quotes on service/labor from an Authorized Service Center near you, please visit:

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/service/location

View solution in context

4 Replies
bill-e
Epic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
LED and OLED TVs

Have you owned an OLED TV before?  Is it a well lit room? 

I'm not saying that there isn't an issue with your TV but I recently passed on an S90D because all the reviews I read said that OLED were best in dark rooms as they don't gwete super bright.  I opted for the Q90D QLED over the S90D for two reasons, brightness and burn in.  The QLED is very bright in my bright living room and I couldn't be happier. 

If you are still within your return window consider returning it while you can if you don't think it is bright enough. Or exchange it if you think it is defective. 

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy Fold 5 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S8 Ultra, Tab S4, Galaxy Watch6Classic 47mm(VZW), Galaxy Watch5Pro(VZW), M8 Smart Monitor, NEO 55" QN90D TV
SammyNerd83
Cosmic Ray
Options
LED and OLED TVs
If you are still within the return window, absolutely 100% return it. I have been having a nightmare of a time, because I had an issue within days of purchasing a TV from Samsung in october, and when doing troubleshooting with their Tech support, they told me I can't remember exactly what but certain things about how I could just get it to go away by pressing and holding the power button on the remote until it Force Power cycled. This unfortunately did not work, and months later it turned out to be a motherboard issue. They replaced the motherboard which took quite a bit of effort unfortunately, and then it was still happening. They finally decided to replace the tv, I still have not gotten the replacement tv, although it looks like I am close, I started that process in february. If you have any issues with the TV at all whatsoever and you're within the return., return it, you will only come to regret it if you do not.
Solution
Samsung_Moderator
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
LED and OLED TVs

Hey RFcomms, welcome to the community! I know this recent purchase must have been exciting and it will be my pleasure to help keep it that way.

We can try a couple of things to get your tv looking right as rain.

1. Adjust the brightness level on the TV.

The brightness level can be adjusted from 0 - 50. Press the Home button. Then navigate to Settings Picture > Expert Settings > Brightness. Turn the brightness up or down until you are happy with the way it looks.

2. Enable Intelligent Mode

Intellegent Mode will adjust the brighness automatically depending on the content being displayed. Press the Home button. The navigate to Settings >  General > Intelligent Mode Setting.

3. Try a different picture mode

Change the picture mode to a different option to see if the brightness looks more appealing. Press the Home button. Then navigate to Settings > Picture > Picture Mode.

Update the firmware over the network

If your TV is connected to the internet, follow these steps:

1. Press the Home button on your remote.
    2. Navigate to and select Settings (gear icon).
    3. Navigate to Support > Software Update > Update Now.
    4. Your TV will check for the update and should start downloading the update.
    5. After the update is installed the TV will shut down and restart.
    6. Once the TV restarts, press and hold the Power button on your remote until the TV turns off and back on.

If the abnormal colors, double images, or ghosting continues after the firmware update please contact us.

Download the firmware from Samsung.com

If your TV is not connected to the internet, follow these steps to update the firmware:

1. On your computer, navigate to the support page for your TV.
    2. Click Downloads, and download firmware version 1301.5.
    3. Extract the firmware to the root of a USB thumb drive. (Do not put it in any folders on the thumb drive.) If you do not have a USB thumb drive, you can find one on our website.
    4. Connect the USB thumb drive to a USB port on your TV.
    5. Navigate to Settings > Support > Software Update, select Update Now, and then select Yes.
    6. The TV will install the update and then restart.
    7. Once the TV restarts, press and hold the Power button on your remote until the TV turns off and back on.

Perform a picture test and review.

On 2021 TV models: Navigate to Settings, select Device Care, and then select Self Diagnosis. Select Picture Test, select OK and then view the picture test. You can select Yes if the picture looks normal, No if there is a problem with the picture, or Show again to see the picture a second time. 

• On previous TV models: Navigate to Settings, select Support, and then select Self Diagnosis. Select Picture Test, and then follow the on-screen directions.

Perform a Factory Reset

Open Settings, and then select General.

Select Reset, enter your PIN (0000 is the default), and then select Reset.

To complete the reset, select OK. Your TV will restart automatically.

If these steps don't match your TV, navigate to Settings, select Support, and then select Self Diagnosis.

If this doesn't help I recommend following bill-e advice as you may be within your retailer's return window. 

If you feel service is the answer:

We would like to gather additional information and look at this from a case-by-case basis, please provide the full model code and serial number of the device as well as your best contact phone number, name, and email.

Send a message on Facebook

Send Message on Twitter

Send Message to Moderator

If your unit is out of warranty and you would like to receive quotes on service/labor from an Authorized Service Center near you, please visit:

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/service/location

RFcomms
Constellation
Options
LED and OLED TVs

Thank you all for your input.

I did a reset and readjusted the gama and shadow detail. Not too bad now.

Yes, I think we need to get used to an OLED.

BTW, I could return it, but I deposed of the box and stand. Something I normally wait for a while. 

0 Likes