Original topic:

Tv malfunction defect

(Topic created: a month ago)
Just1time
Constellation
Options
LED and OLED TVs
I have a 70-inch Samsung TV that has worked perfectly fine for the last 2-3 years. I rarely use it since I'm a bachelor. The other day, while I was sleeping, I suddenly heard the TV turn on by itself with the volume really loud. I tried to turn the volume down and turn it off with the remote, but it wasn't responding. I then tried to turn it off manually using the power button on the bottom of the TV, but that also didn't work. The TV won't respond to the remote or the power button, and the only way to turn it off is by unplugging it from the wall outlet. When I plug it back in, it turns on automatically but still doesn't respond to the remote or power button.

I downloaded the SmartThings app and discovered that it works with the TV, so now that's the only way I can control it. Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong or how to fix it? I'd rather not replace the TV since it's in perfect condition and of great quality.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Just1time
Constellation
Options
LED and OLED TVs

Just picked it up at a tv tech store. They said they replaced the main board. Cost $200 cad for parts and labour. Tv working again 

View solution in context

3 Replies
userGZwqW4LKtt
Asteroid
Options
LED and OLED TVs

I suggest you buy LG TV next time because I, and several of my friends and family, have also had extremely bad luck with Samsung TV's. In one particular case, me and my friend both had the same model of a $3000 120hz Samsung TV. Mine was 46 inches, and his was the 52 inch version of the same model, both had dead pixels appear on the left side of the panel after almost exactly 5 years. The oddest part, my friend bought his 6 months after me, so his has the identical problem 6 months after mine. It was almost as if it was designed to last exactly 5 years. In contrast, my sister and her husband had a much less expensive Vizio TV that lasted about 10 years with no issues up until the 10+ years where the power supply burned out. But that's to be expected after such a long time. As far as the aforementioned Samsungs, because of that oddly specific exact lifespan, especially being top end models, I've decided to give LG tv's a try. Currently I've got an C1 OLED 55 inch with an astounding picture quality, one that you only get with OLED panels. Which is mainly because of the infinite contrast ratio they have that gives them the blackest black you can imagine. In other words, not a hint of gray in the border of wide screen movies, as well as in dark areas of night time scenarios of shows or movies. But back to my point, with the OLED I'm currently at 3 years and counting. However, I also have a Thin Q 55 inch edge lit LED that I gave to my mother after I purchased the OLED, and that LED TV has been going strong since 2017, and as I write this it is now halfway through 2024 and the picture is still phenomenal.

My point being, being that I do not buy the cheap models of any brand TV, it is expected that they should last a substantial amount of time. The more expensive the better right? We'll that may be the case with LG, but unfortunately not my experience with Samsung. Therefore, I will stick with Samsung when it comes to phones, but not TV's. 

LongHiker
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
LED and OLED TVs

@Just1time Sorry that you are experiencing this issue. I have to admit that I chuckled when I saw your statement "I rarely use it since I'm a bachelor.

Have you checked to see if the batteries in your remote are charged? 

I've never had to use any physical buttons on my 75" Samsung. 

0 Likes
Solution
Just1time
Constellation
Options
LED and OLED TVs

Just picked it up at a tv tech store. They said they replaced the main board. Cost $200 cad for parts and labour. Tv working again