Original topic:

990 Pro Write Speeds Only ~20% of Advertised Speed

(Topic created: 08-22-2023 09:43 PM)
KajikiaAudax
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Hi all,

Both CrystalDiskMark and Samsung Magician are showing slow write speeds for my 990 Pro 1TB. The firmware is all updated. Does anyone know a solution to this problem?

Pictures are enclosed.

23_08_23_11_19_AM_Samsung_Magician_SamsungMagicianBeetle.png23_08_23_11_19_AM_CrystalDiskMark_8.0.4_x64_[Admin]_DiskMark64Ringworm.png

5 Replies
JBTechfanatic
Black Hole
Options
Monitors and Memory
As far as performance goes, there will be issues if you plug faster devices into slower motherboards. So if you have one of those slower motherboards, either you need to upgrade the motherboard or fast ssd can be a waste unfortunately
0 Likes
KajikiaAudax
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

That's funny.

I'm running an ASRock Taichi Carrara. The problem was I didn't have the SSD in Performance Mode, because when I went to enable Performance Mode during my initial system setup, Samsung Magician threatened to void my warranty if I put my Samsung 990 Pro 1TB on Performance Mode.

After risking voiding my warranty to put my Samsung 990 Pro 1TB on Performance Mode, I did in fact reach 90% of advertised speeds.

So in order to reach 90% of advertised speeds on the Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD, you need to risk voiding your warranty.

0 Likes
Solution
KajikiaAudax
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

As you can see, to reach the advertised speeds on my Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD, I need to risk voiding my warranty.

How unfortunate that none of the review websites that gave this drive fawning reviews mentioned this to me. I wonder if people would still buy the Samsung 990 Pro 1TB SSD if they knew that you had to risk voiding your warranty just to reach advertised speeds.

23_08_23_04_11_PM_Samsung_Magician_SamsungMagicianHerculesbeetle.png

Tidbitty
Supernova
Options
Monitors and Memory
What board are you running? How many channels? Did you check your BIOS settings?
0 Likes
Atlantida
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Check your interfaz speed at Drive Details tab on Samsung Magician.
990 Pro needs "PCIe Gen. 4 x 4" for max speed.

CrystalDiskInfo application shows it in this way:

Atlantida_0-1694144043001.png

[Current Mode \ Supported Mode] that are the same in my case.

This can tell you if all your setup is optimized for this SSD (including motherboard, slot, BIOS settings, etc.)

0 Likes