JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Magician does not recognize 860 EVO 4TB drives

(Topic created: 12-02-2018 06:01 PM)
user7EWKlTyMwE
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

I have multiple Samsung V-NAND SSD 860 EVO SATA 6 Gb/s drives.

I need to upgrade the firmware on them and Magician does not recognize the drive.

Im using a windows 10 64b system to try and access.

Also, the system shows it as a 2 TB drive under the data on the drive.   

Thanks for looking.

M

18 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
Monitors and Memory

Hi userBGiVAPWnlj,

Can you provide a screenshot of the drive in device manager? Make sure it shows the full name of name of your drive.

0 Likes
userBGiVAPWnlj
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Hi Ricky

I have taken a screenshot but can't work out how to post it here. On all other similar sites I have used there is a simple "browse" option to navigate to the file one wishes to attach. I have looked for instructions on how to do it but with no success. Sorry I am so thick but maybe you could enlighten me?

0 Likes
userkQuRtE5N1T
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

I'm having this issue as well where I have one 840 Evo listed with extra system info like SATA connection type, ect. 

Just installed an 860 Evo 1TB and it shows up but there is no way to TRIM it or do a performance optimization, only shows my 840. 

The 860 is plugged into a SATA6Gb port but the two listed firwares are different. Updating from Magician 4.9.7 to 5.2 causes both drives to show as not supported. Have opened Magician 5.2 to firewall and refreshed multiple times to no avail. Have updated from 4.9.7 to 5.2 but reverted back. Still nothing. 

Is this like a conflict with the two firmwares? 

840 Evo : EXT0CB6Q

860 Evo : RVT01B6Q

Should there be some driver installed on the new SSD? I formatted just today, so there is nothing on it but a volume. 

840 is my OS drive currently. 

Does magician only work for one SSD?

860 Evo Listing More 860 screen infoShowing firmware for only one SSD840 Evo showing proper listing.

0 Likes
Solution
userJx1wQ88HVx
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

I had the same problem. In the box with the SSD it says to download Samsung Magician however it turns out this software only works if both drives connected through an internal SATA connection, if you're using USB it will not recognize. After a lot of trial and error I finally found out that the correct software to use is Samsung Data Migration which can be found at samsung.com/samsungssd or https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/overview/ then go to "Download Tools & Software" click on it and you'll see a spot to download "Data Migration" install and you're all set. I went from a 1TB HDD to a 500GB SSD and it resized partitions automatically when it finished I took out the old HDD and put in the SSD and stared the computer with no issues.

userp0dJfCdWR1
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory
I had the same issue with a 250GB 860EVO and the migration worked. Magician did not.

Thanks
0 Likes
userrgoSMBBQbE
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

"This drive is not supported" and possibly "not genuine"... but copied OS over and boots successfully. Was on a 850 EVO 500gb previously...

https://ibb.co/hyJs13Z

Purchased from NewEgg... seems unlikely that I got a counterfeit... should I be concerned about the "not genuine" designation?

0 Likes
userAi8NENw3OY
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Same exact thing for me, used migration software to clone my old drive but samsung magician doesnt recognize it as a samsung drive.

0 Likes
Options
Monitors and Memory

Hi userAi8NENw3OY,

What version of the Samsung Magician software are your using?

0 Likes
userlyXE2axobm
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

Thank you so much, I almost return the ssd, nothing worked before, I tried with paragon, aomei, and the most recognized software to migrate my hdd to the ssd, I had to try a couple times but after that it worked perfect, great solution

0 Likes