Original topic:

Monitor Acts like a TV which is invasive

(Topic created: 08-16-2023 10:00 AM)
KenHenson
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

I spent a thousand dollars for a monitor, or so I thought it was a computer monitor. I bought the Odyssey G70NC, which is an annoying device. Am I the only one that buys a PC monitor to use it exclusively as a Monitor for work? The issue is that there is always something going on, it wants to take control of the screen and show you movies and everything else like it is a smart TV, or it has a flashing speaker icon intruding on my work trying to get me to set some setting to sort out audio. I just wanted a monitor, a good one, that is why I paid over a thousand dollars for it, instead I got a TV. I wanted the 144 Hz refresh rate, and the 4K. These are the important points, which demonstrates my desire to buy for performance and graphics, not for SPAM! I want to use it as a Monitor for my PC, that means I want to only see my PC screen, I do not want a TV! If I want a TV I will buy a TV. This is the problem with Software Engineers trying to create themselves a job to stay relevant, STOP! I want a super fast PC Monitor not a TV!

4 Replies
ddaniel51
Sun
Options
Monitors and Memory

Unfortunately you didn't do your homework and purchased a "Smart" monitor  with TV like internet streaming media services included.

A High resolution Fast Gaming Monitor  in your preferred size/resolution would be the ideal fit for your needs.

I personally use 4k Samsungs and a 34" high resolution Gaming monitor for all my work & play.  Smart monitors are not allowed in this house.

Good Luck

0 Likes
KenHenson
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

I bought it at Microcenter, and I specifically asked their sales person for a PC monitor that has a high refresh rate and is 4K, they recommended this. If I google the Odyssey G70NC every sales outlet and every promotion for it from Microcenter to Amazon all call it a PC Monitor, I bought it to use as it is advertised and as it is named a Monitor. They added all the smart TV stuff to the monitor, and you have to select the PC every time you start your computer and the monitor fires up, that is just flat out junkware causing the issue because it calls the UI rather than calling the connected device on startup which is a software issue not a hardware issue. This is simply an example of some software engineer that works for Samsung trying to create an excuse for them to keep him hired. If the software was not getting in the way the hardware is some of the best out there.

0 Likes
ddaniel51
Sun
Options
Monitors and Memory

Hmmm, wonder if they were on comission...

I usually go to the manufacturer site and look up the User Manuals for whatever I'm interested in.

Never let a sales person pick and choose for you.

Samsung has several models of high performance gaming monitors to choose from.

0 Likes
KenHenson
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

I am a published game developer I have a pretty good understanding of the general workflow for UI design and implementation. Samsung is too big to contract out something that had to do with the Odyssey G70NC, because it was a high end monitor. Few monitors have a 144 Hz refresh rate, are 4K, 42" and cost less than 2k. This monitor, as far as hardware beats out a lot of the OLED stuff. 144 Hz is off the charts and will last for the next 2 or 3 years even with all the changes that are about to reshape everyone's lives well beyond anything anyone is even dreaming of. My PC mixed with this monitor and my other hardware is blindingly fast. But picture starting up your PC and you spent a fortune for something so fast that you expect to start and be working within 10 seconds, but that is stopped by all kinds of popups coming from the monitor that take a minute or two to sort out because their UI is running off of it's own internal RAM, which is trash and SUPER SLOW, then it wants to auto-update every couple of days which takes a couple of minutes. It ruins the whole reason I spent 15k on my PC to begin with, unless I go spend another 4k to get a new monitor. But if I at least had the option to disable their UI, and make the PC available at start instead of their UI, and stop it from updating, well then the monitor becomes valuable. Time is money, and they built this junkware thinking they were clever, but in reality they are ruining any real tech's experience.  Their UI reminds me of having to deal with Dialup at times.

0 Likes