JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

No scaling option with external monitor Samsung Odyssey 34" G5 on MacBook M1 Pro 16"

(Topic created: 04-07-2023 11:16 AM)
JoelA95
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Hi! I have an issue where I connect my MacBook M1 Pro 16" to my external monitor, which is a Samsung Odyssey 34" G5. On all my PCs like I've had: Razer, dell, and HP it works without issues. But on Mac, there is no scaling option in settings, that just disappears when the monitor is connected. And when changing the resolution and trying different ones, in this case, it should be 3440 x 1440 pixels, everything looks terrible regardless. It's blurry, too big, too small, slow refresh rate. Here's the link to the monitor:

https://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-34-Inch-Ultra-Wide-FreeSync-LC34G55TWWNXZA/dp/B08MVBYWGQ?th=1

Is anyone else experiencing the same or know a solution?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
LongHiker
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Monitors and Memory

@JoelA95 On your Mac, try this:

1. Open system settings
  2. Click on Displays
  3. Click on the icon for the Samsung display
  4. Ensure that "Use as" is NOT set to "Mirror for built-in display". You should select either "Main display" or "Extended display"
  5. Under the "Use as" section you should see some icons. Under the icons, the farthest left will say "Larger Text", one will say "Default" and the one to the far right will say "More space". Click on one of these to change the resolution of the Samsung display. 

View solution in context

3 Replies
Solution
LongHiker
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Monitors and Memory

@JoelA95 On your Mac, try this:

1. Open system settings
  2. Click on Displays
  3. Click on the icon for the Samsung display
  4. Ensure that "Use as" is NOT set to "Mirror for built-in display". You should select either "Main display" or "Extended display"
  5. Under the "Use as" section you should see some icons. Under the icons, the farthest left will say "Larger Text", one will say "Default" and the one to the far right will say "More space". Click on one of these to change the resolution of the Samsung display. 
dr_alban
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

There are no scaling options. It's literally written in the topic title. The highest resolution I can choose from is 1280x720. Everything above is LoDPI.  

fadijafa
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

i faced the same issue, you need to get USB-C to Display port cable to get the full 5120 x 1440, here you are an example: https://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-DisplayPort-USB-C-Supporting/dp/B01J6DT070

0 Likes