Original topic:

Samsung 990 Pro 1TB Failed To Update Firmware (4B2QJXD7)

(Topic created: 12-14-2023 12:45 AM)
MK300
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

I'm trying to update my SSD to the latest firmware using Samsung Magician, but I can't get it to work after trying almost every trick in the book. (Currently on Version: 3B2QJXD7 trying to update to Version: 4B2QJXD7)

I have rebooted multiple times, tried 3 different Wifi networks, and stopped all other programs from running. Nothing seems to work.

Magician simply won't download the update, and it won't tell me why. It simply says "Failed to update".

I am aware that the update can be downloaded separately and installed using Linux "the hard way", but frankly I shouldn't have to do that, and i've never done it before so i'm not comfortable with it. 

It seems like the only solution is to uninstall Samsung Magician and not bother updating the firmware? 

67 Replies
Darkchiller
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

Having the same issue currently. Having software that should work as intended would be nice.

FyreDraygg
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

Same exact issue here on a 990Pro 1TB, except it won't even give an error. Magician just behaves as if the firmware update did happen and prompts a system shutdown, then when the PC is restarted it just says the same update is available again. The firmware never changes from 3B2QJXD7 and the new version is never actually installed.

I tried the Linux boot ISO method and that didn't work either, the update utility just reported "No supported SSD detected for firmware update"

I also have a 990Pro 2TB unit installed and that one updated just fine.

ntinosterpsis
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

I have the same issue with 990 Pto 4TB. It says firmware update fails with no more information about it.

mhasteley
Astronaut
Options
Monitors and Memory

I had this issue with Magician. While troubleshooting I noticed that when going the ISO route that the firmware updater couldn't 'see' any suitable drives (even though Magician saw it fine once Windows was fully loaded - suggesting a low level controller issue. The problem was my BIOS was configured to use the Intel RST Controller (from back when I had some SATA drives in RAID) and when adding this NVME drive it had defaulted to using this. Setting the configuration to AHCI instead and resetting allowed the ISO updater to work successfully. I don't have any spare drives to check it would have also worked with the Magician route but suspect it would have.

MK300
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

It sounds like that's WAY beyond what I am capable of when it comes to BIOS and updating via Linux. I don't have any knowledge or experience doing any of this stuff - I shouldn't have to change BIOS settings just to install a firmware update for an SSD...

I just expect the update to work when i press the button, seems like that's too much to ask!

jarablue
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Mine just updated without any issues. When my system powered off, I unplugged the power cable from the power supply and switched the power supply off. Then let my desktop sit for 20 seconds unplugged and switched off. Then plugged it back in, turned on the power supply and its good to go.

Makaveli_
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

I believe this firmware is for 990 Pro with Heatsink, I just updated mine with no problem. Samsung 990 PRO Heatsink Frimware Update - Samsung Community - 2739910

0 Likes
MiataMX5
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

To the best of my knowledge, a 990 is a 990, regardless of what's sitting on top of it. All 990 firmware is identical for all 990s.

0 Likes
vonderpfalz
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

I'm another with the same problem. Magician will not update Samsung SSD 990 Pro w/heatsink from 3B2QJXD7 to 4B2QJXD7. This seems to be too common a failure for Samsung not to correct  or at least post a solution, asap.