JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Samsung Magician cloning 840 msata to 970 evo not cloning as OS , just storage

(Topic created: 10-23-2022 02:59 PM)
oliverdog
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Samsung Magician(Data migration) cloning 840 msata to 970 evo not cloning as OS , just storage

cloning windows 10 os from my  samsung 840 msata  1tb to 970 evo pcie 1tb using a m2 nvme to usb case.

The cloning process works but the target drive only has files but not the operating system.  You see there is 3 different drive letters on my source disc. 

Any ideas?

thanks Gregg

20221023_145332.jpg

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
ddaniel51
Sun
Options
Monitors and Memory

I think you have 2 strikes against you.

One,  Magician does not play well across a USB connection for nvme drives.

Two, I don't think Magician is smart enough to convert an MBR/BIOS based drive to a booting GPT/UEFI  NVME SSD.

So, what you are getting is Magicians best attempt by ignoring the OS  booting partition and transferring the data partition it recognizes as non booting MBR.

Personally I use Acronis True Image for my cloning and backup software and am very happy with it.

Not sure if it will do what you are attempting though they do  have a free trial available.

View solution in context

2 Replies
Solution
ddaniel51
Sun
Options
Monitors and Memory

I think you have 2 strikes against you.

One,  Magician does not play well across a USB connection for nvme drives.

Two, I don't think Magician is smart enough to convert an MBR/BIOS based drive to a booting GPT/UEFI  NVME SSD.

So, what you are getting is Magicians best attempt by ignoring the OS  booting partition and transferring the data partition it recognizes as non booting MBR.

Personally I use Acronis True Image for my cloning and backup software and am very happy with it.

Not sure if it will do what you are attempting though they do  have a free trial available.

oliverdog
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

Hi

Thanks for the answer , I am now going to clone the msata to a sata ssd mounted in the computer then reverse that to clone to the nvme ssd

0 Likes