JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Samsung Odessy G9 49" Monitor will only work via HDMI and not DisplayPort ?

(Topic created: 04-04-2021 08:22 PM)
usernauybLrp8v
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

I recently just purchased the beautiful Samsung G9 49 in gaming monitor. Once I unboxed it, I connected to my Laptop which has a Ryzen 9 and Nvidia RTX 2070. Unfortunately my laptop does not have a DisplayPort so I purchased a USB-C to displayport cable. The screen came on but was flickering and resizing, and would lose connection every so often.

I tried the other port in the monitor and on my laptop and still the same issue. I also tried another usb-c to displayport cable that also didn’t change anything. Once I tried HDMI it worked perfectly! Except that I can only use 60 out of the 240hz that this monitor can offer when using a DP cable along with Gsync.

I'm not sure whats going on and if maybe it's the usb-c to display-port?
Could the cable not be of high enough quality?
Is the usb-c not allowing this to work?

I can't imagine the monitor is broken, it works perfectly and is brand new. Is there some software or driver I should have installed?

Anything helps...

4 Replies
ddaniel51
Sun
Options
Monitors and Memory

It would appear that the laptop and adapter are not capable of providing a properly formatted DP Ver 1.4 data stream required to  utilize the higher DP refresh rates.  A laptop or PC with a high end GPU and built in DP port is a better solution.  Enjoy the 60hz HDMI.

0 Likes
usernauybLrp8v
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

I just realize the display port to usb C cable I was using was a DP 1.2 . If I purchased another that supports 1.4 could that work potentially?

0 Likes
Solution
usernauybLrp8v
Asteroid
Options
Monitors and Memory

Just purchased a display port to usb c cable that supported 240hz at 2k and also is DP 1.4 and works! this is the solution, I was using a cable not strong enough to handle it.

0 Likes
usercOZZM7mroL
Constellation
Options
Monitors and Memory

I have the Odyssey G7 32" and im getting the same issue. HDMI works (using Xbox Series X). But my PC and Laptop won't work using an HDMI to Displayport cable. Is it maybe because the cables I bought just suck? lol

Both my desktop and laptop only have HDMI or VGA. No USB-C. So i'm kind of stuck needing to use HDMI to Displayport or displayport to VGA?

0 Likes