Original topic:

Colour banding on The Frame 2022 in Art Mode

(Topic created: 05-24-2023 03:23 PM)
deepskydiver
Constellation
Options
QLED and The Frame

Hi,

I have 2 of the 55 inch model. For both, if I upload a file to them I get colour banding I don't see on my monitor or phone. I've even tried a simple test pattern of shades of the primary colours and grey. The same file on the TV in art mode shows banding that isn't there on other devices. It ruins most images I upload to it. Is it changing the colour profile or in some other way compressing it to cause this?

Thanks!

0 Likes
4 Replies
Options
QLED and The Frame

Are you able to share those picture files? I don't think I've seen color banding on my 2022 Frame.

0 Likes
deepskydiver
Constellation
Options
QLED and The Frame

Sure, I do also have a lot of images on there which seem ok. But recently anything I upload seems to result in what looks like lower colour range. Here's the test image I use and a photo of it on the screen.

The image:

https://ibb.co/txMxMW0

How it appears on both my screens:

https://ibb.co/THFP7Ks

0 Likes
Solution
deepskydiver
Constellation
Options
QLED and The Frame

So here is what I have found out.

I'm guessing the TV may do some conversion when files are copied on. I'm supposing this because I do not understand how the same file can look so much worse on such a good panel compared to my phone, monitor and laptop.

Regardless - I have found a way to make it work.

I open the file, even the one I used as a sample here.
I create a new image of the same dimensions in 16 bit colour.
I paste the original image into it.
I save it as either an uncompressed PNG or bitmap : both of these work.
A compressed PNG has varying results depending upon the compression, a JPG is banded even with minimal compression. Lower colour depths don't display as they do on other devices.

Another pointer for those who don't understand why some images force you to pick a mat: it's the size and aspect ratio. You must have exactly 16 x 9 and be higher than 1920 x 1080 (not sure how much higher). As an example I use 5632x3168 (it doesn't have to be that big). With that you can display the image with no mat. If I change that dimension by a pixel though - it doesn't work.

0 Likes
SamsungJam
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
QLED and The Frame

Thank you so much for sharing!  This will be very beneficial to the community! 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

0 Likes