Original topic:

Goodbye Samsung Messages!

(Topic created: 5 hours ago)
Robin621k
Honored Contributor
Options
Samsung Apps and Services
Starting with the release of the Fold 6 series, Samsung Messages will no longer be pre-installed on future Samsung devices. Google Messages will be the only messaging app on phones in the US. Google is pushing this especially with the implementation of RCS compatibility on Iphones come September. RCS will only work from Google Messages to IMessage. Google owns Android, their platform, their rules. 

Samsung Messages will still be available for download in the Galaxy Store, stripped of any real meaningful features.

Not only will Google Messages be the sole messaging app, RSC will be turned on by default. If you wish to have RCS chat features it will ONLY be available in Google's product.

I will bet that when the next update rolls out, all those that still have enhanced features in the Samsung Messages it will be gone. Samsung Messages will now only be SMS/MMS.

This is the future going forward with messaging in the US, you either jump on board with Google Messages or you can stay with Samsung Messages with no enhanced features.

Robin621k
Honored Contributor
Options
What are you talking about? There aren't limited choices, WhatsApp, Telegram, Facebook messenger, and Signal, to mention a few.
0 Likes
meself
Comet
Options
As far as phones go it's getting limited not everyone uses the ones you mentioned I don't those some would call social media or simular to it but the posts is about phone texts options as they have been for many years
0 Likes
Robin621k
Honored Contributor
Options
I have a family group on WhatsApp because Iphones doesn't currently support RCS for sending higher resolution photos and videos. It will in September only from Google to Apple.
It's up to you to join the party or not.
0 Likes
meself
Comet
Options
Again the post was about default text option on phones as been the normal thing changing not add on options
0 Likes
Suppersammy12
Asteroid
Options

If this ends up being accurate this is very disappointing. I was hoping they would add to have carrier independent RCS so if the carrier registration does not work it would just fall back to JIBE on its own. Would have been awsome.

Robin621k
Honored Contributor
Options
Carriers don't want to do it anymore. It's expensive. They are more than happy handing it over to Google. The vast majority of Android users use Google Messages, over a billion downloads.

I have been on Google Messages since RCS has been implemented back when you had to download multiple apps to get it up and running on a non Pixel phone. I am still running the Beta.
0 Likes
onknown
Constellation
Options
Oh my gosh Thanks for telling us!
Jess04
Sun
Options
Come on Samsung, what the **bleep**?!
0 Likes
JLo33
Galaxy
Options
I feel like I'm one of the few that used both Google and Samsung messages and preferred Samsung. Now finding out, literally now, that it's been phased out... Bummed out. 
meself
Comet
Options
Yes I agree