JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Samsung Messages going away?

(Topic created: a week ago)
MrSmithOK
Asteroid
Options
Samsung Apps and Services

I've been seeing a lot if rumors that Samsung I'd going to eventually "retire" the Samsung Messages app in favor of making Google Messages the default texting app. Is there any truth to this? I'd like to go on record as really liking the Samsung Messages app.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Rydah
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Hi there, I hope you're doing well.

There is no official word on this as Samsung has not made any sort of statement on this matter.

While I can't confirm anything, it seems that Samsung hasn't made any big changes to the Messages app in years and has been doing maintenance work on it. This might be a way to keep Samsung Messages up to date however, new features are likely to be in Google's Android Messages app.

I wouldn't worry about Samsung Messages going away.

Best regards,
Rydah
Samsung Care Ambassador

If you've found my post to be helpful, please like the post. If my response resolved your issue, please press the "✓ Accept as Solution" button.

View solution in context

9 Replies
Solution
Rydah
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Hi there, I hope you're doing well.

There is no official word on this as Samsung has not made any sort of statement on this matter.

While I can't confirm anything, it seems that Samsung hasn't made any big changes to the Messages app in years and has been doing maintenance work on it. This might be a way to keep Samsung Messages up to date however, new features are likely to be in Google's Android Messages app.

I wouldn't worry about Samsung Messages going away.

Best regards,
Rydah
Samsung Care Ambassador

If you've found my post to be helpful, please like the post. If my response resolved your issue, please press the "✓ Accept as Solution" button.
MrSmithOK
Asteroid
Options
Thanks, for the information. While I like Samsung Messages user interface, I'd hope if the change is made that Google will take what Samsung has done right with their interface and apply it Google Messages.
Twiggy62
Asteroid
Options
Wish they would go away. Like the goggle message app. If one of them is collecting info, they all are
0 Likes
Writersprite
Asteroid
Options
Indeed. I stopped using Google Messages for the Samsung Messaging app.
Robin621k
Neutron Star
Options
Samsung Messages might not officially go away. However, all future enhancements will go to Google Messages only.
For example, come September when iPhones finally get RCS support in order to send and receive high-resolution photos and video, sent and read receipts, typing indicators will only work in Google Messages!
shortyd999
Asteroid
Options
So Samsung Messages doesn't support RCS and likely won't support it in the future?
0 Likes
wtupyo
Constellation
Options
I believe RCS support in Samsung Messages is carrier dependent. I'm on AT&T and have RCS in Samsung Messages (Enhanced messaging)
lloyd420
Halo
Options
Samsung messages support RCS. I have used it myself.
Beerus-
Cosmic Ray
Options
For approximately a decade, I have been utilizing Samsung Messages. I do not favor Google Messenger, nor do I desire Google to exert control over every facet of my existence. Samsung risks losing another devoted customer if it persists in disregarding customer concerns and imposing Google upon us.
0 Likes