Original topic:

The over-reliance on Google apps on Samsung devices

(Topic created: Tuesday)
torcha_2
Constellation
Options

I'm a huge fan of Samsung devices, but I have a major issue with them. It seems like Samsung is giving too much control to Google on their phones. When you buy a new Samsung device, it comes loaded with numerous Google apps, which I think is a drawback. Samsung's email app has a cleaner interface than Gmail, but they don't pre-install it. Similarly, Samsung Internet is a great browser, but it's not the default. I'm also disappointed that Samsung Messages is no longer the default messaging app, replaced by Google Messages. I wish Samsung would stop prioritizing Google's apps so much on their devices. It's starting to feel like I'm using a Google device rather than a Samsung one.

5 Replies
userg08PjyQbvp
Constellation
Options
Unfortunately that's the downfall of using Android as Google owns it. Samsung would have to fully separate One UI from Android in order for that to happen.
0 Likes
torcha_2
Constellation
Options

Sometimes Google apps are just too much.  Some of them you can't uninstall them. It very bad

0 Likes
LongHiker
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options

@torcha_2 I'm not sure if you are aware of this or not but Samsung devices use the Android OS. The Android OS is Google's product. The Google items you mention are all integrated tightly with the OS to have better performance and features. 

torcha_2
Constellation
Options

I agree, then it not just Apple that has a monopoly in the tech industry. Google's strategy to dominate the market by controlling all devices is concerning. From my perspective, it's not a positive development. I prefer Samsung's apps, which offer a more refined and user-friendly experience compared to Google's apps, which I find have a less aesthetically pleasing interface.

0 Likes
TipsyTrex
Supernova
Options
Samsung Apps and Services
Can't believe there's google apps on a phone running google software with a samsung skin over it.