JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Can't use Dictionary for Samsung app

(Topic created: a week ago)
useru3F9jRw3qf
Asteroid
Options
Tablets

I recently got a Galaxy Tab S9 Ultra and used Smart Switch to move over apps from my previous device, Tab S7+. On the new device the app "Dictionary for Samsung" is not in the app drawer, and its context menu is also not available. Settings > Applications show that the app has a data usage of 0B.

In the Galaxy Store, the app is shown as installed so I can't install again either. Disabling and enabling the app in the settings does not do anything, and I can't even sideload the apk.

Is the app Dictionary for Samsung not supported anymore? Is there any way to use this app?

7 Replies
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Tablets

Is it shown in the store as installed on the current device or the old device? Some apps just doesn't transfer over in smart switch. I don't know whether because of compatibility or restrictions. You might try using smart switch again (it will only transfer over what's missing, nit overwrite what it already did). Otherwise, if the app is on you new device, but unusable, you can uninstall it and reinstall it.

0 Likes
useru3F9jRw3qf
Asteroid
Options
Tablets

Hi, thanks for the suggestion. To clarify, the app shows up as installed on my new device. However it is shown has having 0B of the storage space. Moreover, there is no option to uninstall the app and I can only disable the app, meaning that Android thinks this is a system app.

What is unclear to me is if this app is indeed a system app in my new device, or it just got transferred from Smart Switch but does not work correctly and is in some sort of a limbo now. But as it stands, I cannot use the app as I can't try reinstalling or sideloading the app.

I also tried using Smart Switch again, but I can't move over this app, I think Smart Switch sees the app in the new device and won't let me move it over again.

Thanks!

0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Tablets

You could try restoring a backup of your old device. If you go to accounts and backup, you will have a selection to restore either the backup if your current device (you don't want this), or the last backup of your old device. Make sure your old device is powered off.

0 Likes
useru3F9jRw3qf
Asteroid
Options
Tablets
In the restore options, the dictionary app in not in the list of applications
0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Tablets

Is this dictionary app something you originally downloaded? Because there always was a personal dictionary in Google keyboard that never appeared in Samsung's. One of the many reasons I preferred G-Board. I see the personal dictionary now appears in the general management settings of your phone, which may be why your dictionary app was disabled.

0 Likes
useru3F9jRw3qf
Asteroid
Options
Tablets
This was an actual dictionary app, not the keyboard autocorrect dictionary. Anyways this is now solved, thanks!
0 Likes
Solution
useru3F9jRw3qf
Asteroid
Options
Tablets
This was solved by installing Diodict by the same developer and installing constituent dictionaries. Then DfS shows up in the app drawer and you can enable it in the context menu in Samsung Internet. When it's all done you may remove Diodict.