JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

New Tab A 8inch SM-T290 Cannot move apps to SD card

(Topic created: 05-23-2020 06:44 AM)
userIv6GHwN99R
Constellation
Options
Tablets

I have a brand new Tab A 8inch.   I am very familiar with Samsung since I have phone and 10 inch tablet.   I have bought a 64Gb micro SD card.   It is seen by the tablet.   However I am unable to move apps to the card.   I looked at an app that shows as moveable on my phone but on the tablet there is no option under storage to move to external storage

The tablet has Android 9

Is there something that has to be done to enable moving apps to the sd card?

bill-e
Epic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Tablets

I dont have your model tablet so I cant test this but it has worked in the past for some.

1. Enable Developer options.  Go to settings and search for Build number.  Click on it.  now tap the Build Number 7 times or until the Developer options is enabled.

2.  Go to Developer Options and turn on "Force allow apps on External".

Now check your apps and see if you can move them.  Even if it works not all apps can be moved.

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy Fold 5 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S8 Ultra, Tab S4, Galaxy Watch6Classic 47mm(VZW), Galaxy Watch5Pro(VZW), M8 Smart Monitor
userOsSwVbhVVg
Constellation
Options
Tablets

I followed the above instructions.  I still cannot move any apps.

0 Likes
SamMint
Cosmic Ray
Options
Tablets

Go to settings. Go to applications. Press the app (note that some apps won't work) then press storage. It should say "Storage used: Internal storage " and under it it should say "change" click on it and press "SD Card". Hopes this helps.

userWbsyBZ9oNP
Cosmic Ray
Options
Tablets

Therin lies the problem, there is NO "change" button for ANY app when you try to move them to the sd card on the TabA (with Android 9 (updated)).

This works just fine on my older Samsung phone, but on my new TabA the change button is just plain missing.  Apparently the author  of this string is seeing the same thing I am seeing. Frankly I am reassured that he is also seeiing it (i.e.I am not alone). 

After literally days on the phone, Samsung told me that the next thing to do is a factory reset (which I absolutely don't want to do), and if that fails send it back to Samsung.

maccat32
Constellation
Options
Tablets

Really? they said send it back? unreal. 

0 Likes
user6qA5Ki7yol
Asteroid
Options
Tablets

Send it back?? I have the same problem with a SM-T295. Is it a problem that exchanging for another will fix, or is this problem inherent in all of this model? Thanks

0 Likes
user6qA5Ki7yol
Asteroid
Options
Tablets

Factory reset does NOT fix this problem.

0 Likes
bill-e
Epic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Tablets

In this thread is a post by me explaining how to go to Developer Options and what to turn on to enable the move function.

If this doesn't work then it is likely that the inexpensive 8" tablets don't support this.  We did have one user try everything only to have a new upgraded tablet resolve his issue.  I don't have any idea if this is a bug or a feature.

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy Fold 5 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S8 Ultra, Tab S4, Galaxy Watch6Classic 47mm(VZW), Galaxy Watch5Pro(VZW), M8 Smart Monitor
0 Likes
user6qA5Ki7yol
Asteroid
Options
Tablets

Thanks for your response. I've followed your instructions and have "force allow apps on external" toggled on, but unfortunately, it has no effect on the missing "change" button. Very disappointing! I really hope there's a fix for this.

0 Likes
userh15MEMvctP
Constellation
Options
Tablets

I have the same problem and have had it since I bought the tablet in December 2019. My understanding is that Samsung removed the feature when they came out with the tablet in Android 9. I was hoping that the upgrade to 10 would solve this problem, but it did not. I have no problem transferring files to the sd card but not apps. I also would like Samsung to let us know what is going on.