JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Samsung update broke touchscreen functionality

(Topic created: 12-30-2023 02:02 AM)
Maya_Djent
Asteroid
Options
Tablets
I can't tap my Galaxy Tab S4 screen with my finger anymore. The most recent Samsung update broke the touch function. I'm using my S-pen to tap this out. I ran the Samsung device check feature that individually checks finger touch and then tests S-pen. S-pen is 100% fine, but finger tap input has zero response anywhere on the screen.

Restarting the device did nothing. I tried each of my fingers and none work.

Any help is appreciated!

First time posting here. Don't know if more info is needed from me, sorry.

Edit to correct and for efficiency:

It's an S8+ and it was updated on December 28, 2023 @ 6:42 pm.
OneUI Version: 6.0
Version: X800XXU5CWL1 / X800OXM5CWL1 /
Yes, the letter O after the two zeros is supposed to be there.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
bill-e
Epic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Tablets

Mine is working fine and he final update was about a year or more ago. 

Try these troubleshooting tips. 

First soft reset it by pressing and holding Power and Vol Down until it reboots. 

If the issue still exists, boot to Safe Mode and see if it's still happening.  If I doesn't happen in Safe Mode then one of our added apps is the culprit.

If it is, try wiping the System Cache

Turn off the device 

* Connect to a computer via USB

Press and hold Volume Up + Power buttons simultaneously till the device logo appears

When it logo appears, release Power button but hold the others few more seconds

Release all the buttons when Recovery Mode screen appears

You can use the Volume Up and Volume Down buttons to scroll up or down, and the Power button to select

Using the Vol Down rocker, select Wipe Cache Partition

Press the Power button to select 

Use the Vol Down button to select Repair Apps

Use the power button to select

Use the Vol Down button to select Restart

* Some devices need to be connected to a computer in order to enter the Recovery Mode          

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy Fold 5 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S8 Ultra, Tab S4, Galaxy Watch6Classic 47mm(VZW), Galaxy Watch5Pro(VZW), M8 Smart Monitor, NEO 55" QN90D TV

View solution in context

0 Likes
7 Replies
Solution
bill-e
Options
Tablets

Mine is working fine and he final update was about a year or more ago. 

Try these troubleshooting tips. 

First soft reset it by pressing and holding Power and Vol Down until it reboots. 

If the issue still exists, boot to Safe Mode and see if it's still happening.  If I doesn't happen in Safe Mode then one of our added apps is the culprit.

If it is, try wiping the System Cache

Turn off the device 

* Connect to a computer via USB

Press and hold Volume Up + Power buttons simultaneously till the device logo appears

When it logo appears, release Power button but hold the others few more seconds

Release all the buttons when Recovery Mode screen appears

You can use the Volume Up and Volume Down buttons to scroll up or down, and the Power button to select

Using the Vol Down rocker, select Wipe Cache Partition

Press the Power button to select 

Use the Vol Down button to select Repair Apps

Use the Vol Down button to select Restart

* Some devices need to be connected to a computer in order to enter the Recovery Mode          

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy Fold 5 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S8 Ultra, Tab S4, Galaxy Watch6Classic 47mm(VZW), Galaxy Watch5Pro(VZW), M8 Smart Monitor, NEO 55" QN90D TV
0 Likes
LongHiker
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Tablets

@Maya_Djent The Samsung Tab S4 hasn't had an OS update in quite a while. Android 10 (~2019 time) was the last update. So I'm guessing that is a typo? 

0 Likes
Maya_Djent
Asteroid
Options
Tablets
My system forced an update last night after downloading the patch automatically without my consent. The Samsung updates are the only ones that bother me that way. I was watching a movie and my notifications bar at the top of the screen had the mandatory update icon showing; there was also a pop-up window at the bottom of the screen that came up 3 times demanding that I install the system update. These were NOT in my web browser or an app, but only in my top notifications bar like it always has been and is in my phone too. I have no idea why I've gotten a few system updates since last school year.

And that memory reminds me. I bought this in fall of 2022. I returned my S4. The error isn't what update it is, it's that I didn't check the model before posting because this s-pen has irritated me for a while. It's too thin for my hand.

I have a Galaxy Tab S8+. I had the S4 from launch (and loved it) until I did the trade-in last year. That's my bad, I forgot. Classes have been stressful, I apologize.

Found the relevant info:
Updated: Dec 28, 2023 @ 6:42pm
Version: X800XXU5CWL1 / X800OXM5CWL1 /
Size: 2969.37 MB
Security patch level: November 1, 2023
0 Likes
bill-e
Options
Tablets

Ahh, that makes more sense 😉 

Try the things I suggested in my post above and get back with the results. 

Bill
---
Maya_Djent
Asteroid
Options
Tablets
I don't know if it's asking too much, but if you don't mind I'd like to learn.

I used to date a guy who worked in a hospital's IT department. I learned a lot from him in that time. I was always told that a restart works just as well as a full power down and power on. That's why I specified that I've already restarted my system.

This time, when following your process I opted to completely turn off the tablet and walk out of the room to get a drink, came back, and powered on the tablet. It works perfectly fine now.

Is there a reason why the restart option would NOT fix this problem, but a full power off and then on does? I've never had a problem where a restart won't fix it, but a power cycle does. I'm in my late 30s and I mainly PC game since 2006, so I'm not completely a dunce when it comes to using tech. I just don't always know the WHY of these things.

Thank you for all of your patience and help! I was expecting more problems than this.
0 Likes
bill-e
Options
Tablets

Glad it's working, Happy New Year! 😉 

Bill
---
bill-e
Options
Tablets

A restart isn't like a ctl-alt-delete, it just resarts the device and doesn't reset everything.  The Power Button-Vol down is more like a Ctl-alt-delete and a power cycle removes all power and let's internal memory zero out and is actually the first thing I try when things don't look right.    

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---