JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Samsung SmartTag 2 battery draining

(Topic created: 01-03-2024 01:34 PM)
Artray
Asteroid
Options
A Series & Other Mobile
I thought I bought a bad pack of 4 Smarttags 2 so I returned them and got another pack of 4. Needless to say I had another battery drain in 15 days.
I bought a pack of 4 Smarttags 2 and I put a black tag on my puppy. In 15 days that one completely drained and I had another black tag on my headphones and the white tags on my car and car key, which would make the noise as though it was draining but they were fine, so I switched the black tags and one again, in about 15 days the battery on my puppy died on a different tag. I returned that pack and got a new pack but once again, the one on my puppy died in about 15 days. I put the first SmartTag in my puppy and haven't had an issue. 
Is there any update for the SmartTag 2 to help the battery drain?
19 Replies
tonynguyen
Constellation
Options
A Series & Other Mobile

I bought it directly on the Samsung website and the battery dropped to low just after...12 hours, even turned on Battery-saving mode

Molnar
Constellation
Options
A Series & Other Mobile

Hi,

Same problem here. I bought the 4 SmartTag 2 pack directly from the Samsung web store, and after a few days (ten or so), one of them (just one of the 4) started to send me notifications of low battery, and now the battery is completely dead; it lasts roughly less than a month.

Nhawk
Cosmic Ray
Options
A Series & Other Mobile

I have a suspicion as to what happens. ST2 has 3 modes of battery drain:
1. BLE announce (one way broadcast)
2. Two way BLE that allows the phone to tell the ST2 to beep, etc (uses more energy than #1)
3. Two way BLE + UWB, which allows the phone to get distance/direction (most draining)

I suspect that ST2 can last 2 years using #1 method alone, but it likely gets stuck in #2 or #3 for much longer period than it should (when you're not trying to actively locate it). This would also explain why one of four tags would die much quicker (because that's the one that got stuck in that mode, while others are in #1 mode)

adrianparr
Constellation
Options
A Series & Other Mobile

I bought a black Galaxy SmartTag2 from the Samsung website at the end of November (12 days ago) and I have had to replace the battery three times already! These are brand new Duracell CR2032 batteries. In fact, within 24 hours they are draining from full to low (according to the Samsung SmartThings app on my Galaxy S10+ phone). I went to return the SmartTag, but the Samsung returns policy says "The product(s) must be returned unused and in its original packaging, along with any accessories and free of charge items that were included within the order." I no longer have the original packaging. I'm so angry!

Shadow moon
Constellation
Options
A Series & Other Mobile

This battery drain is **bleep** and a fraud from Samsung. Someone needs to take them up with the co sumer protection agency. It's a great product with a lie attached to it.

0 Likes
user5Q6RIvnwwd
Constellation
Options
A Series & Other Mobile

I am having the same type problem, I bought 2 Smart tag 2 and put them on my dogs.  One seems to be after about 3 weeks but the other is draining.  I love the feeling of being able to track my pets if they get lost but I can't afford to buy batteries every month.

rodrigorrs313
Constellation
Options
A Series & Other Mobile

I did something that seemed to work on my ST2

I reset it through smart things app (do not hard reset by removing the battery and pressing the button)

After reseting it by excluding from my samsung account, it made a sound that it was ready to pair and the pop up showed on my phone. I didnt install it via pop-up, instead i cancelled the pop-up and add it manually on the smart things

It kinda removed some bug or something that was happening, i really dont know what happened

But after i installed it manually, it stopped draining battery.

I'll do this every time changing the battery or opening the battery tray

Hope it works for u as well

mscgno
Constellation
Options
A Series & Other Mobile

I have the same problem and none of the suggestions offered here help. On the back of the box it says it was made on October 5 2023. I'm on my third battery and usually a battery lasts for a day or 2. Is Samsung aware of it? I don't see anything in the changelog of SmartThings or a firmware update to the device

crhro
Constellation
Options
A Series & Other Mobile

Having the same issue with a tag I bought to track my dog in case she ran away, it started with drainage every 2 weeks then slowly as the temperature dropped (even though it is over 0 C ) I got to battery dead every ~24hrs

0 Likes
Solution
SamsungRyder
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
A Series & Other Mobile

Hi all, thanks for reaching out about this. I can understand the frustration with not getting more battery life out of your SmartTag2s. 
First thing to make sure of is to monitor your usage of the Tags themselves, as increased usage 1-2 times daily will obviously not make it last its absolute best. In a similar manner, when attached to pets such as dogs, there is a chance they are pressing the button, which will make the battery drain faster than normal as well, since it is being used. 
If you wish to extend the period of use, you can try using the SmartThings app to turn on power-saving mode, which gives the SmartTag2 even longer on-time.
If even this is not helpful, and the battery life is not consistent with the usage, you can try a reset of the SmartTag2. Use this guide for steps: https://www.samsung.com/ae/support/mobile-devices/how-to-reset-the-samsung-smarttag/
If the troubleshooting is not helpful, and you have tried newer batteries for it after this, the device will need to be evaluated by a certified technician. You can use the following link to find a list of service centers in the U.S. that can do the repair: http://www.samsung.com/us/support/service/location or by contacting customer support at 1-800-726-7864.

For service outside of the U.S., please use this link: https://www.samsung.com/us/common/visitlocationsite.html