JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Screen dims and goes dark on every call

(Topic created: 09-03-2023 07:31 AM)
bobzani
Asteroid
Options
A Series & Other Mobile

I got a new A14 phone. The problem is, on calls, the screen dims after 15 seconds, and goes dark after 30, on every call. This is quite annoying. I've talked to Samsung tech support and they tried everything they could, without success. Has anyone else had this problem and found a solution? Any help is appreciated.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
VerbumVeritum
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
A Series & Other Mobile
This behavior is normal and not able to be natively altered. During calls, your phone is using more power than normal; all directed at the antenna. To save power, and prevent overheating, the phone screen will automatically dim after 10 seconds, then shut off completely after 30 seconds unless the screen has touch interaction. There might be some 3rd party apps that extend the duration of screen-on time during calls though.

View solution in context

8 Replies
Solution
VerbumVeritum
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
A Series & Other Mobile
This behavior is normal and not able to be natively altered. During calls, your phone is using more power than normal; all directed at the antenna. To save power, and prevent overheating, the phone screen will automatically dim after 10 seconds, then shut off completely after 30 seconds unless the screen has touch interaction. There might be some 3rd party apps that extend the duration of screen-on time during calls though.
Members_nzXh1rR
Constellation
Options
A Series & Other Mobile

"Normal" for Samsung & some idiots who don't know HOW to turn off a phone--but annoying & cxontributing to one's safety when needing phone at night in desolate  surroundings!

realaud
Neutron Star
Options
A Series & Other Mobile

You can change the screen time out settings in the display settings on your phone, but I don't know if it affects the time out for calls.

If you need your phone at night in desolate surroundings, the screen will turn on when you activate it to make a call.  If you need it to stay lit and not turn off, just place your finger on the screen when it starts to dim and/or turn the flashlight feature on so you will have light around you.

It's not idiotic, most phones from all manufacturers react like this. I admit it would be nice if there was a feature to activate keeping the screen on while a call is active.

sitaralvin
Constellation
Options
A Series & Other Mobile

I have a Z Flip 4 and it annoys me when the screen goes black during a call because some of the automated systems require you to make so many choices and listen to menus that the screen times out while I still have numbers to enter!

But your solution works.  I just tested it.  I never noticed that the screen dims before it shuts off, but it does, and, as you said, if you touch the screen anywhere when it dims, it will light back up.  Thanks for that tip!

BTW, my screen time-out is set to 10 minutes and, no, it doesn't affect the time out for calls.  And I agree with you that there should be a feature to keep the screen on during calls -- something simple that you can do at the start of every call -- like double taping the screen.

realaud
Neutron Star
Options
A Series & Other Mobile

Oh it absolutely annoys everybody. It does not take into account that many outgoing calls require navigating a robo system. They don't have to let it be always on (because then people will complain about battery drain), but 10 second is not enough. If they can increase it to 20 or 30 seconds, everyone would cheer.

FlakyJnyz
Constellation
Options
A Series & Other Mobile

EDIT:  There are tiny no-ads Keep Screen Awake/On apps (android, installing one now), too...

Tapping the screen might inadvertently trigger some function/app/etc which you may not want triggered/running, so when in doubt I usually just quickly squeeze the phone's power button when it dims, either brings it back or darkens it completely at which point making the squeeze a double brings it quickly back.

LazyTigerz
Constellation
Options
I've never had this problem with any other brand of phone. Samsung has issues. The proximity sensor should light the screen when you move the phone to or away during a call. The **bleep** thing stays black and can't get it to light up to be able to hangup!!! Have to keep pressing the power button until emergency call pops up. Getting rid of the A14 5g and trying an S series. If its as stupid as the A, I might as well get a cheap ZTE. At least they know how to stay lit to end a phone call. šŸ¤¬
0 Likes
realaud
Neutron Star
Options

Incoming, outgoing, or all calls?  I have found that on outgoing calls, the screen starts to dim just when you need it most (using the number pad to follow voice prompts). Doesn't bother me that much, since I keep my phone unlocked when connected to my watch or and/or at home, so all I have to do is tap the screen to keep it on.  I find that on incoming calls, my screen stays on during the entire phone call if I have it on speaker.  This actually makes no sense whatsoever.  If phone makers have the capability to keep the screen on during incoming calls, then they have the ability to keep it on during outgoing calls. At the very least, reverse the process.  I don't really need the screen on for the whole duration of an incoming call - if I do, I'll just surf the web while on my call.  I don't even need it on for the entire duration of an outgoing call, but I think it should be a full 5 minutes before it times out.

0 Likes