JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Galaxy Book Flex alpha S Pen support

(Topic created: 06-02-2020 02:51 PM)
user11wcRkF7ko
Asteroid
Options
Computers

I just got my Flex alpha 13 with the I 7. The screen is beautiful. Some reviews, and the user manual, seem to suggest that it supports the S Pen. 

Can anyone tell me if that is true?

If F, what pen should I get?

Thanks for any answers.

32 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Options
Computers

The Galaxy Book Flex alpha does not support an S Pen.

usercoxe3Qaxpx
Cosmic Ray
Options
Computers

Dear SamsungLou,

You are saying the Flex Alpha does not support the S-Pen. The Flex Alpha manual clearly states that it does (albeit the pen is not included), and the manual shows a chassis slot for the S-Pen. The Samsung online spec only says the S-Pen is not included but doesn't say wether or not it is supported but optional, doesn't show a slot, and doesn't list the pen as an accessory.  The the online specs have had several blatant errors so the Samsung spec writers are not credible. The Samsung Experience stores are closed so it is impossible to physically try it out. Given the conflicting specs and confusion within Samsung (on something very basic), how can we rely on your information as correct? What are you basing your response on?

user2YPku52WKK
Asteroid
Options
Computers

@usercoxe3Qaxpx wrote:

Dear SamsungLou,

You are saying the Flex Alpha does not support the S-Pen. The Flex Alpha manual clearly states that it does (albeit the pen is not included), and the manual shows a chassis slot for the S-Pen. The Samsung online spec only says the S-Pen is not included but doesn't say wether or not it is supported but optional, doesn't show a slot, and doesn't list the pen as an accessory.  The the online specs have had several blatant errors so the Samsung spec writers are not credible. The Samsung Experience stores are closed so it is impossible to physically try it out. Given the conflicting specs and confusion within Samsung (on something very basic), how can we rely on your information as correct? What are you basing your response on?

I sympathize with your frustration on this. I tried to get a straight answer on it when they went on sale. (Online support said yes and no, they did not have a definative answer themselves.) I ended up with the Flex to be sure. The manual is generic, the S-Pen is available in Korea as is a 15.6 in version. I think some tech sites were going off the versions already released (providing higher spec versions to press that were not available in the US was dishonest. Combined with the utter silence from Samsung on clarification the overall experience of trying to figure out what you are buying with these was just awful. If you look at the US press release from January it lists the ACtive Pen from which i assume is the same as the one used with the Notebook 9 Pro. This of course is not available for purchase from Samsung's webpage at this time.  Best of luck.   

usercoxe3Qaxpx
Cosmic Ray
Options
Computers

Yes, thank you, my experience  and dissapointment dovetails exactly with yours. Please see my response to the moderator below.

SamsungCaleb
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Computers

My apologies not all models of the Galaxy Book Flex Alpha support the s pen.  Depending on the exact model you have it may not support it. 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

usercoxe3Qaxpx
Cosmic Ray
Options
Computers

You are apologizing but wouldn't it be more productive to simply clarify which Alpha models support the S-Pen? The S-Pen, for many, is a primary reason for purchasing a Samsung laptop. Offering the 13" Flex in the US with only 8GB RAM precludes it's viablity for many. The Alpha is an alternate in that it can be configured with 12GB but it is impossible to ascertain if the S-Pen is supported. I would be interested in the US model 13" I7/12GB Alpha (only if it supports S-Pen). Your confirmation of S-Pen support might provide an indication, but I would still be loath to make a purchase based on heresay. S-Pen support ultimately must be confirmed by the regional specifications. I simply cannot understand why this is so complicated. I also can't understand why the US seems to get the "dumbed down" versions of each model.

useratcWmKXTT4
Asteroid
Options
Computers

there is only one model of the Galaxy Book flex Alpha baically unless you get the I5 or I7 so what you saying is the I5 supports the Spen??? since I have the I7 and it doesn't support the spen

@SamsungCaleb wrote:

My apologies not all models of the Galaxy Book Flex Alpha support the s pen.  Depending on the exact model you have it may not support it. 

TV1065
Cosmic Ray
Options
Computers

That is nice to know, but a bit LATE!  Samsung really messed this one up!  I bought the laptop a couple months ago with the intent of purchasing an s pen a bit later.  I then ran into this mess online.  This is beyond ! Sure, I have a nice laptop, but it does not have all the functionality that the documentation says it has.  This screams class action lawsuit (i'm just to lazy to proceed with that).  

I'm just going to ditch this laptop in the local river and buy myself a worthy device.  I gave Samsung its one shot and it failed....miserably.  Bye Samsung.

Solution
user11wcRkF7ko
Asteroid
Options
Computers

This is kind of a reply to my own question. There seems to be questions about the Flex alpha and pen support. I also saw reviews etc that mentioned S Pen support. My test was to take the S Pen out of my wife's Chromebook and try to use it.  NOTHING. I then decided to try the pen that I bought to replace the original pen that came with my Surface Pro 4. What I have is a Surface Pen by Pac Dot that I got on Amazon for about  $37. It uses one of those AAAA batteries that you have to dig to find. It has a rocker button on the side but no button on the end like the original pen had. I found that it worked fine with the Surface. When I hold it near the Flex alpha screen a cursor appears. If I hold down the side button and swipe text, it is selected. If I hold down the side button and touch the screen, the right-click menu appears. If I open a Photoshop editor, it can be used for brushes and selections. If I open the Samsung Notes app, the pen works. It has palm rejection. I downloaded the very nice Bamboo Paper app and it works. If I open the Live Message app, the pen works and the pen is pressure sensitive, more pressure gives wider lines. I don't get the semicircle of choices like I got with the S Pen on my Note 10.  There are probably other things that this pen cannot do, and i anyone would like to ask me to try something, I will be happy to do it. When I bought the Flex alpha, I did not think it had pen support but certainly expected to try based on the information in some reviews, AND the section on the S Pen that is in the tiny included "User Manual" Much of the pen support is probably coming from Windows 10. There are some simple settings for the pen in Windows Settings Devices. Frankly, considering that I was not planning on pen support, I am very pleased with how useful the pen is and I am glad that I happened to have the active pen from my Surface Pro around so that I found out that it worked. Everything else about the Flex alpha is great, except that the speakers could be louder.