JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Galaxy Flex Book Alpha - HDMI port limitations & USB-C questions

(Topic created: 08-24-2020 07:24 AM)
userKE7k1ohrFz
Cosmic Ray
Options
Computers

I recenlty purchased a Galaxy Book Flex α 13.3” ( NP730QCJ-K02US  -- i7/12gb/512gb), and I've been surprised and dissapointed by the lack of a proper owners manual with complete specifications.  There's a "user's guide" which contains generic information about the use of the entire Galaxy Book line (13.3", 15", etc) and the specifications on the web are missing a lot of important details.

I've been trying to get support for 1440p@60Hz over HDMI (which should work by the HDMI spec) but doesn't seem supported by the hardware.  Installing the Intel driver allows the entry of additional resolutions, but it seems the HDMI port itself is limited. Any resolution/refresh rate higher than 2560x1440@40Hz produces an "exceeds maximum bandwidth" message.  I've tried three different HDMI cables, including 2 that are rated for 4K.   Given that there are plenty of 4K HDMI devices, it seems the HDMI port on this device does not support HDMI 1.4.

I've considered buying a USB-C display adapter, but without a list of supported alternate modes on the USB-C port, I don't know what version of display port is supported.

Does a comprehensive specifications document exist for this laptop?  The brief list of specifications on the website is really insufficient.

EDIT: I have applied the November 2020 BIOS update and 1440p@60Hz over HDMI now works in Windows 10.  A comprehensive, detailed specifications document  would still be appreciated if anyone has one to share.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
userKE7k1ohrFz
Cosmic Ray
Options
Computers

You are correct about the HDMI port. The resolution issue must be a Windows driver bug and I will start a new thread. 

I have booted Linux and in Linux the monitor is working at 2560x1440@60Hz over HDMI with zero fuss. 

So do we believe that the USB-C port does not support thunderbolt or DisplayPort?  

EDIT: There is a display port device supported through the USB-C port.  I can see it in linux:

[    14.062] (II) modeset(0): Output eDP-1 connected
[    14.062] (II) modeset(0): Output HDMI-1 connected
[    14.062] (II) modeset(0): Output DP-1 disconnected

eDP-1 is the internal LCD; HDMI-1 is obvious, DP-1 must be the USB-C displayport controller.

Here are the stats I could learn through xrandr (I have no device connected to the USB-C display port device):

DP-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
	Identifier: 0x44
	Timestamp:  18228
	Subpixel:   unknown
	Clones:    
	CRTCs:      0 1 2
	Transform:  1.000000 0.000000 0.000000
	            0.000000 1.000000 0.000000
	            0.000000 0.000000 1.000000
	           filter: 
	Content Protection: Undesired 
		supported: Undesired, Desired, Enabled
	max bpc: 12 
		range: (6, 12)
	Broadcast RGB: Automatic 
		supported: Automatic, Full, Limited 16:235
	audio: auto 
		supported: force-dvi, off, auto, on
	link-status: Good 
		supported: Good, Bad
	CONNECTOR_ID: 100 
		supported: 100
	non-desktop: 0 
		range: (0, 1)

UPDATE: I contacted Intel and they blamed the Samsung BIOS.  Sure enough, after applying the Nov 2020 BIOS update, 1440p@60Hz over HDMI is working for me in Windows now, too.  Seems the issue was the Samsung firmware.  I'm just happy to have it resolved.

View solution in context

14 Replies
SamsungCaleb
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Computers

I'm sorry to hear that, this is the user manual for the laptop. https://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/202006/20200617134943770/Win10_Manual_ENG.pdf

On page 11 you can use the usb-c to connect display devices. Also, it may be limited by the external display you are connecting to. 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
userKE7k1ohrFz
Cosmic Ray
Options
Computers

Thank you.  I am already aware of the generic users guide, which unfortunately is lacking important specification details.

The document you linked says: 

> HDMI port • Used to connect an HDMI cable to an external device.

What version of HDMI?  What resolutions are supported?  These are normal specifications that most laptop providers publish.

Also:

> USB-C® port • This port allows to charge USB-C® devices or to connect external display devices

What kind of display devices?  Displayport?  MHL?  Thunderbolt?  There are multiple display port versions that may (or not) be supported under alternate modes (Alt-Modes) of USB-C.   

I appreciate your attempt to help, but what I'm looking for is a document that has this level of detail. I'd rather know what the hardware is capable of before I start spending money on peripherals that may not work.

Thanks

0 Likes
usera7XiRAf1k2
Astronaut
Options
Computers

Did this question get answered? I have a Thunderbolt dock (Dell WD19TB), and wondering if I plug the thunderbolt cable into USB C port on laptop, will it at least output the display, as I have 2 displays connected to the dock via display port

0 Likes
SamsungCaleb
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Computers

I sent this in to get more information on the correct specs for this laptop and will follow up with you on here with the information provided. 

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

userKE7k1ohrFz
Cosmic Ray
Options
Computers

Thank you!!

0 Likes
SamsungCaleb
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Computers

You are very welcome! 

0 Likes
usera7XiRAf1k2
Astronaut
Options
Computers

Did this question get answered? I have a Thunderbolt dock (Dell WD19TB), and wondering if I plug the thunderbolt cable into USB C port on laptop, will it at least output the display, as I have 2 displays connected to the dock via display port

0 Likes
SamsungCaleb
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Computers

As of right now, the information they have given me is that the HDMI is 1.4b at 4k 24hz and it is not thunderbolt rated. But they are going to see if it is MHL compatible. 

0 Likes
userKE7k1ohrFz
Cosmic Ray
Options
Computers

Thank you. I'm confused how it can be 1.4b, since 1.4b should certainly be able to support 1440p at 60Hz and yet I cannot get it over 40Hz.

I have driven this monitor at 1440p at 60Hz by HDMI from another computer so I don't believe it's the display or the cable that are the issue.  I have tried multiple cables, too. 

Being unable to use my external monitor at its native resolution and at a reasonable refresh rate would be pretty dissapointing if I cannot get it to work. 

Perhaps I should try older intel drivers..?

0 Likes