cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

Re: Galaxy Flex Book Alpha - HDMI port limitations & USB-C questions

JUMP TO SOLUTION

Did they indicate if the USB-C port supports DisplayPort as an alt mode?  My understanding from here (https://www.cablechick.com.au/blog/definitive-guide-to-usb-c-alternate-modes/#:~:text=%20At%20the%20...

Is that there may be no USB-C HDMI alt mode devices, so I'm hopeful that the alpha supports DisplayPort. 

Should I start a new thread for the specific resolution support question?  My resolution is within the bandwidth range for HDMI 1.4b, and the Intel forums seem to indicate that when a custom resolution does not work it is because the device bios has in some way prevented it. 

Thank you again for your help!

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

You are correct about the HDMI port. The resolution issue must be a Windows driver bug and I will start a new thread. 

I have booted Linux and in Linux the monitor is working at 2560x1440@60Hz over HDMI with zero fuss. 

So do we believe that the USB-C port does not support thunderbolt or DisplayPort?  

EDIT: There is a display port device supported through the USB-C port.  I can see it in linux:

[    14.062] (II) modeset(0): Output eDP-1 connected
[    14.062] (II) modeset(0): Output HDMI-1 connected
[    14.062] (II) modeset(0): Output DP-1 disconnected

eDP-1 is the internal LCD; HDMI-1 is obvious, DP-1 must be the USB-C displayport controller.

Here are the stats I could learn through xrandr (I have no device connected to the USB-C display port device):

DP-1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
	Identifier: 0x44
	Timestamp:  18228
	Subpixel:   unknown
	Clones:    
	CRTCs:      0 1 2
	Transform:  1.000000 0.000000 0.000000
	            0.000000 1.000000 0.000000
	            0.000000 0.000000 1.000000
	           filter: 
	Content Protection: Undesired 
		supported: Undesired, Desired, Enabled
	max bpc: 12 
		range: (6, 12)
	Broadcast RGB: Automatic 
		supported: Automatic, Full, Limited 16:235
	audio: auto 
		supported: force-dvi, off, auto, on
	link-status: Good 
		supported: Good, Bad
	CONNECTOR_ID: 100 
		supported: 100
	non-desktop: 0 
		range: (0, 1)

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Constellation

JUMP TO SOLUTION

I use an ASUS USB-C monitor with my Galaxy Book Flex, connected via a Thunderbolt port.

I use an Inateck USB-C hub to provide split-power AC to both devices -- I expect if I had a monitor with a battery that would be unneeded & the monitor could be wired straight into the laptop, as I already do with my older Samsung Chromebooks.

Highlighted
Cosmic Ray

JUMP TO SOLUTION

The flex and the alpha are fairly different, the alpha does not support USB-C charging. 

The USB-C port on the alpha does support DisplayPort over HDMI.  I gave up and bought a USB-C hub with video and the HDMI connector on that hub does provide the correct resolution and refresh rate. 

Seems silly that the built in HDMI port is less useful than the one that came with a $15 USB-C hub but there seems to be no interest from Samsung in updating the bios or drivers for my model to address this.  I guess that's what I get for buying the cheapest of the Samsung Flex book lineup.