Original topic:

Smart Switch did not transfer specific data

(Topic created: 08-02-2024 07:33 AM)
job_41
Cosmic Ray
Options
Fold & Flip Phones

The following issues have been encountered after transferring the data with Smart Switch from Flip 5 to Flip 6:

1. All usernames/passwords for all applications have not been transferred and had to be re-entered manually (30+ apps).
2. Samsung Wallet lost all its cards, which had to be re-added manually (5+ cards).
3. All Bluetooth devices had to be re-added all over (10+ devices).
Total time spent restoring phone's functionality after Smart Switch data transfer: 5 hours (on and off). This is shameful performance for the app that has a word Smart in it. Evidently, Samsung development does not know how to develop a simple backup/restore application as the above issues continue since Flip 1 generation and I am sure they exist in other Samsung phones. I understand all the "security" implications argument that Samsung is driving, but this is not the case of a simple phone to phone transfer where the user identity is confirmed through a bunch of what appears to be useless prompts and fingerprint scans on both phones to initiate the data transfer. It is time for Samsung to review what is going on with its development department.
4 Replies
LongHiker
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Fold & Flip Phones

@job_41 All of the items you mention are expected and due to security. 

1. Applications should store the username password in an area which is not accessible via a memory copy. This is to prevent easily copying and using an app from your phone by someone with bad intentions. 
  2. Each device contains secure elements which are unique to that device. This fact provides financial institutions with the security that they need to allow their card to be used with that device. 
  3. Typically Bluetoot device names are synced across. But you still must repair with devices because often they record Bluetooth MAC addresses from the devices that they are paired with. Again this is for security. 
0 Likes
job_41
Cosmic Ray
Options
Fold & Flip Phones
See, this is exactly what I mean by saying "security implications". In this case, do not provide this useless app if it has so many restrictions. Just admit that users have to reinstall everything by hand as Samsung products do not provide meaningful way of backing up and restoring all what users have done. This way, customers won't have any illusions about Samsung phones and OneUI functionality.
0 Likes
LongHiker
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Fold & Flip Phones

@job_41 There is no reason you have to use the app. I would suggest next time that you do not use it. I think you will find that transferring all data files, settings, and customizations will make you rethink that decision. 

realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Fold & Flip Phones

as @LongHiker says, this is all basic security behavior and is expected.  Look at it this way, it would be way more inconvenient to download and reinstall all your apps to  your device if Smart Switch didn't move them over, not to mention your data & downloads. 

It is logical to assume that anything involving security, such as remaining logged into secure apps and credit cards, would not transfer over.  I don't know why you assumed otherwise.

0 Likes