JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Horrible Bluetooth Galaxy buds live

(Topic created: 09-08-2020 08:51 AM)
userwtXcNADkLr
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Buds

Stronger when I first bought these earbuds in early August, the Bluetooth connectivity was decent.

One of the updates at the end of August broke it. Not only can I not to keep my phone in my pocket, I can't take it farther than a boat 20in from my head. The only way I can actually use these earbuds hands-free is if I put my phone in a armband on my upper bicep.

Samsung. Fix this.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
SamsungRei
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Galaxy Buds

If troubleshooting is not helpful, Connection Issues with Samsung Earbuds, service is recommended as the warranty is a repair only warranty. For assistance, you can send a private message with the full model code and the serial number from the bottom of the charging cradle. http://bit.ly/2XERsky

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

View solution in context

9 Replies
Huck7
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy Buds

Yes I am seeing the same issue!! It is nerve wrecking........... I wish they would fix soon! I never had this issue with Apple's iPhone and AirPod Pros.

Solution
SamsungRei
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Galaxy Buds

If troubleshooting is not helpful, Connection Issues with Samsung Earbuds, service is recommended as the warranty is a repair only warranty. For assistance, you can send a private message with the full model code and the serial number from the bottom of the charging cradle. http://bit.ly/2XERsky

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

CntryGyNSD
Halo
Options
Galaxy Buds

I started to do this and then noticed several people have and it hasn't fixed the issue. Until Samsung issues a recall for a manufacturing defect it's pointless to send them back. The buds appear to be functioning normally. You generally can't repair a poor bluetooth connection. 

0 Likes
StuR
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Buds

Just got a pair of these and have the same problem. I've noticed that using either bud by itself works ok so the problem seems to be communication between the two buds.

Have to wait until Samsung fixes their bad firmware.

PDD_Boise
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Buds

I have the Watch3 and Buds Live.  I really wanted to be able to run using just the buds and watch (no phone).  I had a great deal of problems, but I believe I have found a solution.

Problem:  Buds Live constantly cut-out when outdoors.

I speculated that indoors the walls contain and reflect the bluetooth signal from the watch to the buds.  When moving outdoors, there is nothing to contain/reflect the signal and so the dropouts happen frequently.  I was able to test this but walking under trees with low hanging, leafy branches.  Bingo the bluetooth becomes reliable again.  So this explains why going outdoors makes the bluetooth connection less reliable.  But there's more...

I wear my Watch3 on my left wrist.  The default primary Buds Live bud is the right one.   When walking and with my arm swinging normally the buds will constantly cut-out.  I believe this is due to my arm swinging to my waist in which case my entire torso is between the watch and the bud.  Cut-outs galore.  Simply moving my watch to my right wrist eliminates the cut-outs.  A simple solution, no?  But we can do better...

Best Solution:

The Buds Live are really quite advanced and among other features they have the ability use just one bud if necessary.  For example, if the battery dies on one bud you can continue to use the other.  The stream will switch to mono but it's better than nothing.  The whole point is that both buds can apparently act as master.  So, I figured it might be worth testing whether I could force the left ear-bud to be the master.  It turns out you can make the left ear-bud the master as follows (not an official Samsung procedure)...

• Put the buds in the case for a moment to allow them to power down.
  • Open the case and put the left bud in your ear.
  • Start your music source.  Note:  At this point the right bud is still in the case, and not connected to bluetooth.
  • Now you should have music playing in your left ear.  Next, remove the right bud and put it in your right ear.
  • Bingo!  The watch is on my left wrist (where I prefer it) and the cut-outs are gone!

Now, I'll admit there is something here I don't completely understand.  Normally, a master-slave configuration on the buds has one bud always dominant and the other bud receives a rebroadcast bluetooth signal from the first bud.  For buds that can play independently they can both act as primary and receive the bluetooth signal from the source.  These Samsung buds seem to have one bud broadcast to the other, but either the left or right can do so.  Think about it.  If the right bud were still receiving the signal from the watch, it would continue to cutout when the watch is on my left wrist.  But when I follow the procedure above, the left bud becomes master and appears to broadcast to the right bud.  Like most master-slave buds, they have no problem communicating with each other, even though our head is in the way.  The distance between my ears and the signal blocking is much less than from my ear through my torso to my waist.

Samsung - we are so close to a perfect set of buds.  For those of us who have bought into your ecosystem (for me S20+ 5G, Watch3 and Buds Live), please take the extra step to allow the Wear app to default the left bud to the master.  It would be so much more convenient.  The buds apparently have the capability to do this.  When I follow the annoying procedure above, the Watch3 and Buds Live  live up to your promises.  Sadly for you and me I returned two pairs of Buds as defective before I figured out the procedure described above.  You could do us and you a big favor if you just made an option for people who wear their watch on their left arm.

userdNlu3vcpqC
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy Buds

I have been having the same issue but with my apple watch 4 and buds live.  Works great indoors, but once i go for a walk outside the connection gets wobbly.  Thanks for the tip, it saved me from having to return my buds live.  

0 Likes
stbodie
Constellation
Options
Galaxy Buds

I just got the Galaxy Buds Live and a new Galaxy S20 Ultra 5G.  Everything was working fine until I tried walking around outside with the phone in my left pocket.  I had the same horrible cut-outs that are being reported here.   Only outside in the wide open.... inside the house, it worked!  I could also leaeve the phone in one room and walk clear across the house without cutting out!   

I have the latest updates for both the Buds and the S20 

I unpaired and reset the Buds, restarted the phone, and then re-paired -- same issue. 

Holding the phone closer to my ears solves the issue, but is not workable. The phone weighs too much!

What DID seem to work was putting the phone in airplane mode, turning off bluetooth, then turning everything back on.   I'll see if  the problem comes back, but initial test seems to work both inside and outside.    Try that?  

userRaV5S075Gh
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Buds

I have the same issues. Samsung is displaying no interest in fixing the issue. horrible service. This is last device I buy from them.

0 Likes
SamsungAdam
Samsung Moderator
Samsung Moderator
Options
Galaxy Buds

An Accepted Solution has been marked, and provided for this thread. The thread will now be locked for further replies. in hopes to keep the integrity of the thread from steering in a non-technical manner. We understand the solution marked may not be a solution for everyone, If you have a separate concern or question, feel free to Private message a moderator or post a new thread with additional details. Please note duplicate posts on similar subjects starting 2/1/21, will be removed in order to keep our community organized and make it easier for our users to find needed content. Remember that if you do make a new post, please include as many details about your symptoms as possible. Also, make sure that your title is a good summary of the overall situation that's occurring. Thank you for being part of the community!

0 Likes