JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Note 20 Ultra. August S24 Security Update?

(Topic created: 08-09-2024 08:20 AM)
TigerTanaka
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
 Is this August Update the first of many that the Note 20 Ultra will not be getting?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
GaryB82
Galactic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
It would look like the Note 20 is only getting 4 years of security updates, so i figure the August 2024 to be the last update it will receive.
https://security.samsungmobile.com/workScope.smsb

If you've found my post to be helpful, Please like my Comments ✓✓✓.
If my response resolved your issue, please press the Like and ✓✓✓ to Accept as Solution button.

View solution in context

10 Replies
Solution
GaryB82
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
It would look like the Note 20 is only getting 4 years of security updates, so i figure the August 2024 to be the last update it will receive.
https://security.samsungmobile.com/workScope.smsb

If my response resolved your issue, please press the Like and ✓✓✓ to Accept as Solution button.

TigerTanaka
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
What exactly does this imply for the Note 20 Ultra?
Is this like a scene from a 007 or Bourne Film, where every program on the phone is going to go haywire?
GaryB82
Options
Galaxy Note Phones

It just means that the security of the device wont be updated to prevent future software attacks that could happen in the future.  Some apps may lose support since its 4 years old I've seen banking apps stop working in the past its always recommended to keep your phone updated to prevent theses attacks.

TigerTanaka
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
I have a very ancient Grandfathered Cell Plan. It is somehow Nostalgic to me. My Carrier has always wanted me to Upgrade to one of their newer plans. I have hung on to the Plan because it has been "enough" for me given my age and income. In the olden days, I felt that thrill of rushing out to buy the latest Flagship-- now I just want a phone that helps me communicate in case of Emergency.
Getting an S24 would sell me into a 3 Year Contract....
meself
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
There's different trade in or other promotion when they end I don't know but maybe worth a look
GaryB82
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
I would suggest contacting your carrier they may allow you to upgrade your device and keep your plan that you have already

meself
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
In general terms no more monthly updates or ui or android i.e android 15 etc you will need a new model to continue getting updates
userI3vEkHb9C8
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
I totally agree Haybound! This is how they force us to buy another 1200 dollar phone... I mean, nobody with a note 20 would spend a bunch of $ to buy a note 24 without being forced to do it. Hopefully, graphene os will keep progressing
TigerTanaka
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy Note Phones
Thank you GaryB82 and Haybound and to all others who commented. In my memory, at the onset of the Pandemic, many people suddenly had no employment as restaurants and places shut down. My Note 20 Ultra 512gb was considered by many at the time as a Business Person's phone, and 512gb was hard to find because it was like carrying a laptop in your pocket. On the other hand, people thought of it as bad timing due to the abovementioned Economic crisis engendered by Coronavirus and its concomitant effects.