JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Galaxy S20 Encrypted SD data Corrupted After Phone Update

(Topic created: 11-01-2022 06:16 AM)
userLEQlkiGCvC
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

After the latest system update on my S20, none of the files are not readable on my encrypted SD card. It is odd since the File structure is still accessible (perhaps wasn't encrypted) but the actual files cannot be opened. Any insight into issue? Would rolling back the update (if even possible) allow me to recover the files? Actually, almost all are backed up but photos from a concert had not been backed up yet. In any event, this is an annoying inconvenience.

Alfredo_
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Same issue here. Since the Aug 1 update my phone things my SD card is no longer encrypted and doesn't attempt the decryption process. I copied over the contents to my PC thinking that I could format the card, encrypt again, then copy over the encrypted files, but no luck. My phone doesn't progress beyond "Checking SD card" in the encryption process either, so encryption is currently completely broken.

0 Likes
chade617
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Anyone with an update on this situation? Seems like October security patch is rolling out and we're still stuck on August. Is everyone experiencing this on an unlocked S20?
0 Likes
userHNAwZOfU8Y
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Still no updates on my end. Unlocked S20 as well.
chade617
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Unfortunately, the September update didn't fix the 'checking the SD card' forever loop. At least not for me. Encryption is still broken.

I spoke with a very helfpul Samsung rep again this morning that's going to escalate this issue internally, and she was able to locate this thread and is referencing it along with her submission, so hopefully that will gain some traction.

My only other thought is that I seem to get the security updates about a month after they are initially released, so perhaps the September update was already mostly complete by the time this issue surfaced? Still holding out hope that this will be addressed in a future security update.
Solution
chade617
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Incredibly happy to report that the October update restored the encryption capability on my S20. I am now able to access all of the information on the previously encrypted SD card.

Thank you to everyone involved on collaborating on this issue and thank you to Samsung for addressing it!!
ChessM
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

The Oct  update with Sept 1st security patch or do you have an actual Oct 1  security patch update already?

0 Likes
chade617
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S Phones
It's the Oct 1 security patch. Came in overnight.
0 Likes
ChessM
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I'll be looking forward to getting it!!!

Can you now encrypt another card without it getting stuck on checking card?

I'm using a different card - unencrypted as I can't encrypt, keeping the other one on the shelf hoping for a fix.

Did you simply put the previous locked out card in and it worked?

Or did you have that card in the phone when the upgrade took place?

0 Likes
chade617
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S Phones
I had that card still in the phone during the update and it re-encrypted it upon the reboot. I haven't tried a second card yet and won't be able to until I get home from work.

Having now seen the risks of encrypting thr card, I'm currently in the slow process of decrypting the card. But it is working.
0 Likes
ChessM
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

What service are you on?  I have unlocked S20, but still usually get the update 2 or 3 weeks into the month.  Maybe I need to see if I can download it directly and test...

0 Likes