JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Galaxy S8 Wifi Issues

(Topic created: 05-22-2017 01:43 PM)
Holybob
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

So I am posting here because after research I do not see anyone with this issue and wanted to see if anyone had suggestions on what to do to attempt to fix it. 

What will happen is my phone will lose internet connection while connected to my Wifi. As shown in the screen shots below it has the Wifi Symbol along with an exclamation mark. When I go to the Wifi settings it states "Internet may not be available"

The only way to fix the issue is to turn the wifi off then back on. Now keep in mind that this does not happen all the time as It will happen spoardically throughout the day and there does not seem to be a specific app that causes this. This has happened while browsing the internet on multiple different browsers and it has happened while watching videos in applications such as Youtube, Twitch, Netflix, Hulu, etc.... This issue only seems to be affecting my galaxy S8 as the other devices on my network does not have this issue including my old Samsung S7 Edge.

What I have tried is the following in no particular order 

• Turned the phone off/on
  • Cleared browser cache
  • Cleared the cache partition
  • Reset my wifi connections
  • Factory reset my phone
  • Reset my router
  • Verified my Router Firmware was up to date
  • Had Verizion send me a replacement phone. Same issue happens

My Router is the Google Onhub

Galaxy S8 Screen Shot 1.pngGalaxy S8 Screen Shot 2.png

477 Replies
userysXs65aZpa
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

The only fix I have found is to go in into the location settings and turn off high accuracy.  Went from dropping the wifi once every ten minutes to just a couple of times a day at the most. 

0 Likes
Bizz247
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

+1 to this issue about to go back to apple,between this issue and the speaker phone issue, this phone is a steaming pile of  and holds up to Android phones being garbage again....

SAMSUNG FIX YOUR!

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S Phones
I was reading and I had this problem actually right after this new setting feature came live. ONE You want to set your phone's WIFI to high performance, in the S8 says keep WIFI during sleep, set to ALWAYS. What would happen, when the phone screen goes off and Android Doze starts will turn off the WIFI radio and you will have to connect again. Now this can trigger routers to reject too many connections during an small set of time, my Western Digital had a security setting that would block devices that try brute force and keep connecting disconnecting. TWO. Turn off SMART NETWORK SWITCH, this is a great feature but never works, Apple developed for IPhones and Android copied. The Smart network SWITCH will turn off your WIFI when the quality drops, this is an issue with 5GHZ bands. 5 CUZ band do bad when you move away from the router, and instead of dropping 5GHZ and going to 2.4GHZ the Smart SWITCH will go to LTE and sometimes will see a 5GHz and connect even when the data is poor. CONSUMER REPORTS magazine had a big article critizing the feature for Apple and Android as not very Smart. Having the phone to have High Performance WIFI will also keep the connection ALIVE with the router, also be sure that the router is set to high performance too. My WD media server had a save power function also Linksys too. Same goes with QoS. Set QoS to prefer the phone connection, so the quality of service is good and the phone doesn't drop the connection. This is an old Android issue, I first had it with an HTC M series, and S5, always change the settings in WIFI and that will fix it. Remember 5GHZ is fast but not great for distances and walls.
0 Likes
userBpiCgpbVnH
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones
I have not found a fix at all. I have tried on 3 different routers (work enterprise, home - FIOS, office - netgear). my AT&T S8 continually drops wifi on all 3.
0 Likes
GunslingerN74
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I  have a Similar Issue My S8+ will connect to Wifi everywhere but my home I have logged into 4 different Persoanl Wifi Networks not to mention places like MCDonalds and Starbucks and Barnes and noble and places that have free Wifi . I can log into them all fine but I cant log into my home network I get the Internet is Unavailable. I have Tryed 3 modems (2 different models) from Spectrum. I have tuned off every possible setting on my phone Done 2 Factory reset cleared Cache. I took all security off my network . Nothing changed. 

0 Likes
userVhIg5kAQkm
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Same problem on my Galaxy S8+ with Sprint. Works fine everywhere except work wifi which has duel-band outputs, 2.4ghz and 5ghz. Tried everything I could without going into router settings which I don't have access to for now. Looking forward to it's fix. 

0 Likes
userFCAGxZXHs5
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I purchased my Samsung Galaxy S8+ on 7/9/17.  WiFi everywhere worked perfectly.  Then suddenly on 8/29/17, my phone disconnected from WiFi at work.  It would try to connect, then a second later disconnect, and on and on.  I checked with everyone else in the office and all their devices were not having issues with the WiFi at work.  I took my phone and stood right next to the WiFi router and my phone disconnected even there, so I knew it wasn't a signal blockage in my office.  I freaked out, googled the issue and came across this forum.  Noticed that some work around fixes worked for one person, and didn't work for another person.  Spoke to a tech at Verizon - he hadn't heard of the issue and had no solution for me, other than to call Samsung.

Here's the Good News:

Well after having issues all day on 8/29/17, 8/30/17 & 8/31/17 --- suddenly (like magic!) my phone connected to the work wifi on 9/1/17 and stayed connected all day and every day since then until just yesterday 9/13/17 when it disconnected all day.  Today 9/14/17, it is connecting and staying connected.

Have had no wifi connectivity issues at home or anywhere else.

So.... at least for me, it seems to be a sporadic problem that will correct itself in time.

Feel free to email me if you have further questions at cindyvines@psmtaxcpas.com

P.S. The IT guy at my work gave me this info regarding the WiFi at work:

The access point is a UAP-AC-PRO, it’s a full 802.11AC access point, that supports both 2.4 and 5GHz bands.

0 Likes
user3vLX91HCzw
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Hey I was experiencing the same type of issue nothing worked but then I thought of something, I have att and my s8+ came with an app called at&t smart wifi. Go to that app and go to settings and change the connection settings to off [see picture] 

Holybob
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones
@user3vLX91HCzw I can't find that on my phone. Maybe that is an At&t thing? As I have Verizon
0 Likes
S8manager
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Surprisingly this is working. Thanks for the solution. Hopefully this solves it forever!

0 Likes