JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Galaxy S8 Wifi Issues

(Topic created: 09-14-2020 03:52 AM)
Holybob
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

So I am posting here because after research I do not see anyone with this issue and wanted to see if anyone had suggestions on what to do to attempt to fix it. 

What will happen is my phone will lose internet connection while connected to my Wifi. As shown in the screen shots below it has the Wifi Symbol along with an exclamation mark. When I go to the Wifi settings it states "Internet may not be available"

The only way to fix the issue is to turn the wifi off then back on. Now keep in mind that this does not happen all the time as It will happen spoardically throughout the day and there does not seem to be a specific app that causes this. This has happened while browsing the internet on multiple different browsers and it has happened while watching videos in applications such as Youtube, Twitch, Netflix, Hulu, etc.... This issue only seems to be affecting my galaxy S8 as the other devices on my network does not have this issue including my old Samsung S7 Edge.

What I have tried is the following in no particular order 

• Turned the phone off/on
  • Cleared browser cache
  • Cleared the cache partition
  • Reset my wifi connections
  • Factory reset my phone
  • Reset my router
  • Verified my Router Firmware was up to date
  • Had Verizion send me a replacement phone. Same issue happens

My Router is the Google Onhub

Galaxy S8 Screen Shot 1.pngGalaxy S8 Screen Shot 2.png

477 Replies
Zahraarz52
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I have the same problem with my Galaxy A71 after software update !

is there any solution ?!

0 Likes
Stephanie Nikki
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Can you tell me what troubleshooting steps you have tried?

Be sure to click " ✓ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.
Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
userpUwbNGRv6V
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

So the solution of going into your router and binding your Galaxy S8 to an unused IP address is definitely the answer for the majority of these issues.  However, be aware that there very well may be two places where it appears that you can bind an IP address to your device's MAC address.  For example, on my Netgear router under Network Configuration>LAN Settings>LAN Groups you can add a device to a LAN group and assign it an IP address for its MAC address...there then is an option to save that binding.  However, there's another place under Security>Address Filter>IP/MAC Binding where you can explicitly add a device and assign it an IP address for its MAC address.  This IP/MAC binding page supersedes the LAN Groups page.  So if they don't have the same IP address in both places for the device's MAC address, then you will still have issues with that device fully connecting to the Internet through your router...

0 Likes
user_23wdsob0
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones
I think it has to do with your router. it might also be that your phone is an old software version.
0 Likes
Mao Zedong
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Same or very similar problem on my S8+. I'm using a Tenda MW3 mesh network to which all of my other devices connect just fine. However my S8+ will not switch nodes no matter how much stronger the signal compared with the one it is currently connected to. And for some reason it almost always wants to stay connected to the base node, and will switch to the 2.4ghz band even when the 5ghz signal is perfectly fine. So when I'm in my office, which is through a couple of walls and some 30ft from the base node, it stays connected to that node on 2.4ghz even though the signal is terrible. Then I get the ! like everyone else, and it still doesn't want to switch. 

edit: forgot to add that if I turn wifi on and off, it will connect to the closest node properly. But as soon as I'm closer to the base node it switches to that and won't let go.

So far I have tried resetting my network settings, but this had no effect. 

0 Likes
userfzFLuKL3af
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I have the same disconnect issue except I get no indication that I have no internet. There is no explanation mark. I managed to reach 1/3 of my mobile data in 1 day with this issue. No other devises have issues stating connected to internet while on wifi. 

0 Likes
user4R7NA5bT8p
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Ditto. S8+. Wifi worked fine for about two months and now no Wifi anywhere. Son's phone, so this may have happened after an OS update. Who knows. Tried everything from wiping cache to resetting phone. Some fixes work one or two times and then don't work again. Not an issue with any other devices. 

ALL of my tech issues this year have been Samsung. These people obviously have no clue what they're doing. Utterly incompetent company. 

0 Likes
bautryb21
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones
I have the same issue with my s8. I am to upgrade soon but recently added google nest to our house. while listening to podcasts on a speaker the wifi will cut out thos starts the pod playing on phone and on speakers. so annoying. I also have tried all the above resets minus the factory reset. any advice?
0 Likes