JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Galaxy S8+ connects to Wi-Fi but has no internet connection

(Topic created: 07-15-2023 04:21 AM)
heuterm
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Hi, similar but not the same has been asked before. Out of the blue (so to speak) my Galaxy S8+ won't connect properly to wifi (it connects but has not internet connection). I have tried the obvious ones including restart, forgetting wifi network. All other devices (my wife's iPhone, iPad, laptop and smart TV) connect, so there is something going on between the router and the phone?

My local phone shop suggested that my router (Vodafone) may have decided that the phone is a 'treat' and the firewall blocks it. It appears in the admin site of the router when connected to the network but I cannot work out whether, and if so where, the "this is a threat/virus" would come up in the router website. 

any other suggestions? 

thanks in advance,

Martin

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
heuterm
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Update - I rang my broadband provider and they updated my router software remotely, not forgetting to mention that, as a loyal customer I qualify for bla bla bla ... Anyway, all good now, phones connecting now and remain stable. Thanks for your advice, folks.

View solution in context

6 Replies
Ekamek
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Can it connect using cellular connection? If it connects to the router and it's pulling a valid ip address (not one starting with 169), then the issue isn't your router. Check your NAT setting, that should mask internal addresses and allow connection outside. However, the firmware and drivers on S8 series have been exploited because the phone is still being used but mine still connects to network.
0 Likes
heuterm
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Hi, I am afraid that some of the words/concepts in your response are beyond my understanding of phones/internet. However, to answer some: yes, the phone connects to 4G without a problem. The IP address shown begins with 192. NAT setting??? I have also just noticed that it suddenly connects to wifi, but can only assume that there is now a temporary problem. Maybe it's time for a new phone ... :-(.

0 Likes
Ekamek
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S Phones
192 means the connection from phone to router is good. Getting a newer phone is also an excellent idea as the S8+ hasn't been supported in terms of security updates in a long time. Mine is only used for offline games.
0 Likes
KnowledgeIsPower1
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Just look at you apn settings, if everything looks OK there go to your router and unplug it for 10 seconds and plug it back in, if it still doesn't work go into your router settings on your computer by entering 192.168.1.1 and you'll have administrator access to your router settings and can run diagnostics on it and factory reset if necessary. Let me know if none of that works.
0 Likes
KnowledgeIsPower1
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Also may be 10.0.0.1 to enter modem/router settings.
0 Likes
Solution
heuterm
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Update - I rang my broadband provider and they updated my router software remotely, not forgetting to mention that, as a loyal customer I qualify for bla bla bla ... Anyway, all good now, phones connecting now and remain stable. Thanks for your advice, folks.