JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Photos aren't downloaded from outlook into Contacts app

(Topic created: 03-27-2019 10:09 AM)
Mtiede
Comet
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I added my microsoft outlook account to the phone.  After it synced, I have two problems. 

First, I noticed that the photos were all missing.  Is there a way to make that happen?  It worked fine on my previous Lumia 950xl.

Second, I see too many entries there.  It looks like a lot of contacts that I deleted in outlook are still there.  When I have the People on the web exported, I noticed a bunch of junk in there too.  

So is there a problem with Contacts on the phone, a problem with outlook syncing, or a problem with both?  (or multiple problems with both)

0 Likes
24 Replies
knightsurgeon
Neutron Star
Options
Galaxy S Phones

So the multiple entries could be when you had the Outlook sync it also added in any email address you had saved to your contacts. Are you using the native email application or an Outlook application on the device?

Be sure to click " āœ“ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
Mtiede
Comet
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Outlook for email.  I was able to determine that the extra entries were due to it downloading not only the contacts, but the DELETED contacts.  Once I deleted the entries in Deleted on the web, the extra entries were gone.

I still am having trouble with the Contacts photos though.  And one time I actually SAW the photos.  But after all the things I've been trying, I don't remember exactly how I had set up.  I can't seem to make it happen again.  I know I tried both an "automatic" setup of outlook and somewhere I also know that I put a manual setup and used things like imap-mail.outlook.com:993 and smtp-mail.outlook.com:587, but I don't know if that made a difference or not.

Wish I knew EXACTLY what steps to take to reproduce it now that I have all the contacts cleaned up on the web.

And people talk about clearing some sort of cache, but I don't know how to do that.  There is mention of an Apps icon, but I don't think I have those with Microsoft Launcher.

Any suggestions?

... time passes ...

I added in my 3 email service accounts including the outlook one.  I see all the proper mail.  I see the Contacts in the Contacts app (after enabling that in the Outlook account).  But still no pictures...

0 Likes
SamsungRei
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Galaxy S Phones

@Mtiede have you cleared the cache of the stock email app?

Be sure to click " āœ“ Accept as Solution" when you find an answer that works for you.

Please note, notification emails are a DO NOT REPLY address, you must log-in on the community page in order to respond.

0 Likes
Mtiede
Comet
Options
Galaxy S Phones

How does one do that?  (newbie on "not" Windows Phone)

0 Likes
Mtiede
Comet
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I found a "clear cache" in the Settings, Apps for Contacts.  I cleared it, it didn't help.  Didn't know if I should also "clear data".

Is what I did, what you were asking?

0 Likes
Mtiede
Comet
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I tried clearing data for Contacts and cache for Outlook too, but didn't make photos show up.

0 Likes
ChazzyJ
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Outlook houses everything for me. It has all sync'd fine and all contact photos have imported correctly to the phone 

If you've found my post to be helpful, please like the post. If my response resolved your issue, please press the "āœ“ Accept as Solution" button.

Best regards,
ChazzyJ
Samsung Care Ambassador
0 Likes
Mtiede
Comet
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Good to know, but disappointing.  I wonder why mine aren't updating.  I've tried as many combinations of how to re-create the contacts that I can think of (though I hardly know what I'm doing yet as I'm new to Android/Samsung S10).

Did you do anything special when creating the accounts?  Did you specify Exchange, Outlook, Imap, Advanced settings?  

Do you create the account in the overall settings for Accounts first, Contacts first, Outlook first?

0 Likes
Mtiede
Comet
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Chazzy J,

When you create a new contact on the phone, does it get updated in Outlook (on the web or pc)?  Mine doesn't appear to.

0 Likes