Original topic:

Why do we have to update to the Google Messages app

(Topic created: Tuesday)
Crazydog77749
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Whydo we have to update the system app to the Google sms app, on the Samsung s20fe? Now we get stuck with 2 Samsung apps.

21 Replies
bingus2
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S Phones
I also got a banner pressuring me to change on the latest update. I have s23. It let me dismiss it, you should be able to change/keep the system app as the default, just obnoxious
0 Likes
meself
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S Phones
They are phasing out Samsung messages and switching everyone to Google messages
DalgleishGX
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Not quite.

Only in the US.

Samsung messages is still thriving in other regions.
0 Likes
meself
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S Phones
That may change
0 Likes
Bar_Na
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S Phones
But they are not removing completely the Samsung Messages, it still is available to download and use from the Galaxy Store if anyone wants to switch back/to it as their default messaging app. I understand that some of the latest new Samsung phones only come with the Google Messages app installed, and not Samsung Messages also. So as long as Samsung doesn't discontinue the ability to use, and download from the Galaxy Store, the Samsung Messages app, then this is a good thing. At least there still is the option to choose which app to use as the default. Right?
0 Likes
TigerGirl61
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

After the factory update, it wanted me to switch to the Google msg app.  I dismissed the Google Msg app and got locked out of my phone.  I had to do a Factory Reset to get my data back.  I got my Contacts back and pretty much everything except my Gallery Pictures (lots of them).  Found out they were backed up by Google photos app (which I don't like nearly as well as Samsung's app) but at least I have my pictures.  But I had to delete the Google Messenger app to keep it from popping up.  Don't know if that is why I got locked out of my phone, but I was not a happy camper.

0 Likes
DalgleishGX
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S Phones
You actually have only one samsung app.

Google owns the other one.

Google refused to give Samsung access to Google's Jibe module for RCS so they're pushing people to Google messages now for the latest texting experience.
0 Likes
Bar_Na
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S Phones
I understand now that Google created? and owns/controls the RCS for Android, but it's been my experience recently, the better part of the last few years, with my Galaxy A32 5G, that I do have some amount of RCS happening with the Samsung Messages. For instance, I can see that all messages are either Sent or in most cases Delivered, and for some contacts I can see that the messages were Read. Plus with some contacts (maybe the same ones that show Read..) I can see when they are typing, with the moving dots. But that's about it. So isn't this considered RCS..?
Though I can't "react" to messages using emojis or likes, but with some contacts who I believe have iPhones I see when they "Liked (my text in quotes)", or "Loved an image", or "Emphasized an image", etc.
0 Likes
bellasi
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones
So in the end what message app will we be using
0 Likes