JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

screen mirroring will not work at all with an hdmi cable, and it used to.

(Topic created: 02-14-2021 11:11 AM)
charliemmann
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

When i purchased my galaxy s10 edge, samsung dex screen mirroring worked just fine, with an hdmi cable to my non smart tv. 
Now, when I connect the cable, only my phone desk top will display, and apps will only open in a small part of the screen. I can not make movies full screen any more. 
Screen mirroring will not work, and I do not even have the option for screen mirroring in my settings any more.
Isn't it illegal to take away options from a device after it has already been purchased because of the options the device had????

5 Replies
LongHiker
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S Phones

Sorry but your post is a little confusing. At first it sounds like you are saying that you are only seeing screen mirroring with only a narrow phone screen displayed on your TV but later you say that screen mirroring is not working.

If you are seeing only a narrow vertical phone screen displayed on your TV, try this:

1. Connect your S10 via HDMI to your TV.
  2. Go to the Quick panel.
  3. Click the Dex icon to start Dex on your TV. This will start Dex on your TV.

If you are seeing Dex on your TV, do the above steps but clicking the Dex icon will change the display to mirroring your phone screen. 

charliemmann
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S Phones

the back ground picture of my phone, along with a few apps, and the app menu, back, and something else, are all my tv will display. Dex is officially malfunctioning on my phone. I am supposed to be able to use screen mirroring on my phone, with my tv, with an hdmi cable. Not just the background picture with a few apps on the 'desktop' screen. 
As soon as i connect the hdmi cable, the smart view app disappears, and there is no option to turn on screen mirroring on my phone.
When I disconnect the hdmi cable, then the smart view app becomes visible again, but I can not change any setting in it all.
My phone worked by mirroring the movie I am trying to watch to my tv when i connected the hdmi cable. Now it will not.

0 Likes
Solution
LongHiker
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S Phones

@charliemmann wrote:

the back ground picture of my phone, along with a few apps, and the app menu, back, and something else, are all my tv will display.

That is what Dex displays. That is correct. And you will be able to watch movies full screen if you launch the appropriate app (such as Netflix, etc.) and click the expand screen button. 

Screen Shot 2020-11-13 at 16.35.56.png

I am supposed to be able to use screen mirroring on my phone, with my tv, with an hdmi cable. 

Yep, you can do that. 

Pull down the quick panel, click the blue Dex icon and Dex will turn off. Then you will see simple screen mirroring. 

20201113_164105.jpg

As soon as i connect the hdmi cable, the smart view app disappears, and there is no option to turn on screen mirroring on my phone.

If you want to use Smart view, you will probably need to connect a Chromecast to your TV. 

pmacs1116
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones
I have this problem as well, but on my phone and my wifes phone will lose signal while streaming
0 Likes
MrQue
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S Phones

An Accepted Solution has been marked and provided for this thread. The thread will now be locked for further replies. in hopes to keep the integrity of the thread from steering in a non-technical manner. If you have a separate concern, feel free to post again or send one of our moderators a private message with more details. Please note duplicate posts on similar subjects starting 2/1/21, will be removed to keep our community organized and make it easier for our users to find resolutions and needed content. Remember that if you do make a post, please include as many details about your symptoms as possible. Also, make sure that your title is a good summary of the overall situation that's occurring with your product. Thank you for being part of the community!

0 Likes