cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Samsung_G8axUYX
Astronaut

Speech to Text Features Missing on the S10

The best feature that I used every single day on my S7 was speech to text. I would be able to tap on the incorrect word and the phone would give me other words that I simply tapped on to change it to the correct word right in the middle of the message.

In other words I'd say the word along and the phone would type alone instead. Then with one finger tap on that word, the S7 would pull up 3 or 4 words that sound similar that I could tap on once and it would be replaced.

This feature is completely missing on the S10. Even when I tap on the wrong word the s10 software would bring the cursor back to the end of the paragraph.

This is very frustrating.

I use to use this feature all the time because it was so much easier and quicker to chat with people. Now, they think I'm ignoring them because I'm not going to type a message while I'm in the car. (not driving)

I'm hoping for an update to bring this feature back soon because I really miss it. I still have a couple weeks to return this phone, save a lot of money and just get an older model. I really don't want to have to do that.

Is there an app that I can install that will bring this feature back?

Thanks,

Mike-

22 REPLIES 22
Sflboxter
Asteroid

I thought it was frustrating that the talk to text featur...

I thought it was frustrating that the talk to text feature most times on my 9S wasn't close to interpreting what I said. It's so bad most times I can only laugh at what it says. I was hoping with time it would adapt to my speech. If I speak really really really slow..... it will work fine. All the features are otherwise working. Mike now you're saying the 10 doesn't offer a better talk to text but worse. All of a sudden I'm hearing "your going to miss me when I'm gone" in my head

userYGfli29yz0
Astronaut

Re: I thought it was frustrating that the talk to text featur...

@Sflboxter  - 

I was having the same frustration but was finally able to figure it out (it is a little buried).

Settings > General Management > Language and input > On-screen keyboard > Manage Keyboard 

Turn off "Samsung Voice Input"

Make sure "Google voice typing" is enabled

Voila!   The microphone in my texting and email apps now pulls up the Google Voice Typing with the gray underlined words for me to pick alternative word options as I was used to on my Galaxy S7.

Hope that solves it for you too!

userP1NJsPR9hn
Astronaut

I was having the same frustrations with voice text on my s10.

Thank you so much for sharing this solution!

usera5Yp1hGAWD
Astronaut

Worked perfectly! You are my hero! I don't know if I would have ever found that on my own before giving up in frustration. What a world of difference! Google Voice understands my voice so much better, also, so there are fewer mistakes to correct in the first place.

userVg9bWvJdjB
Constellation

Thank you so much. I am surprised more people have not thanked you.

I have been going crazy. I had the S7 and hated s10 .  It changed everything I said, and hated that it did not give the correction option.  It would sometimes it would type what I say and then I notice words changed after It was sent.

I searched high and low.  And, thankfully finally found your post.

userBUDG4a5Ewt
Astronaut

OMG!! Thank you 😍😍😍 it work! 

pchoustontx
Constellation

This does not resolve the issue. Even using Google's voice to text feature, it is slightly better but still subpar compared to older S models and LG has Samsung beat with the best voice to text recognition on the market today. 

The One Plus mirrors the S10 and voice to text is carbon copied from LG however the camera is not the best and the audio on that phone suffers.

I guess you have to figure out what is the best options you want and cannot go without and choose the right phone. In my case, where I want great audio, flawless bluetooth connection, the best camera and easy to understand voice to text- I have tried the LGv series, One Plus7 pro and Galaxy s10+.. Neither of these phones had it all.

The most frustration I encountered with the S10+ is the lack of voice to text natively or using Google's version. The software for it is simply not there anymore. Much like it is also missing the native music player, voice recorder and other apps that were on previous versions. Also, the Dobly Atmos is a joke on this phone.

You can still download them from the Galaxy store, but why should you have to? At least it still has a 3.5mm headphone jack.

The positives are a great battery life, awesome camera and great video resolution. It can do up to 4k on recording, which is UHD selection but the other phones do that also and have a comparable battery life.

The LG has an awesome sound system on board. It has a comparable battery life with comparable camera quality. However the camera has more pixels than the S10 but slightly less quality on video and photos. 

The LG phones voice to text is one of the best around. Even in parties and in loud spaces, it is trained to listen to your voice and pick up what you say in a crowded room with great accuracy on the first try.

The only real downside of these phones are the lack of quality in video and photography. Everything else is comparable to an S10 but slightly, not as close, but they are not deal breakers either.

The OnePlus 7 Pro is a mix of the two really. It also mirrors a perfect mix of Iphone 11 and S10+. It has the best battery life of the three mentioned above. It's voice to text mirrors LG's and the speed of the phone is the best and twice as fast, even on 5g compared to the s10+ or the lg phones.  

The downside of this phone is the bluetooth audio is very poorly designed.  It has Dolby Atmos but that does not help. It is very weak and sounds like an analog stream from an AM radio station and drops connections. The camera is similar to the LG but it's native music player is just as bad as the bluetooth connection sounds. They simply dropped the ball when it came to writing the audio software for this phone.

Overall, the choice would be neither and wait for a newer version to come out of each and compare again

userT4GhbGn1fC
Astronaut

Thank you pchoustontx for your long and boring explanation about why LG is better in response to a question about a Samsung phone.

Just to be clear you're not being helpful.

userT4GhbGn1fC
Astronaut

Thank you user...yz0, this certainly helped.

Now if I can just figure out how to train it to recognize some of the complicated and non-standard words that I use at work