JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Google messages RCS feature

(Topic created: 10-08-2023 03:23 PM)
Rico24
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones

I just swapped from Samsung messages to Google messages on my s20 phone Android. I'm used to when you send a text message from Samsung messages it says delivered and then when they read it. It says read. Is this option available with Google messages? If so, how do I turn all that on? Thank you for your time. I greatly appreciate your help. Chris 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
VerbumVeritum
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S Phones
From the Google Message home screen, select your profile icon>Messages settings>RCS chats. Make sure this is enabled. Individuals on the other end of texts can disable this feature, so with some contacts you wouldn't necessarily be able to tell if they're read or not.

View solution in context

12 Replies
DanG92263
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S Phones
This feature should be on by default.

"Messages tells you when your message has been sent, received, and read through the icons next to your message:

Important: These icons won't show on SMS or MMS messages."

https://support.google.com/messages/answer/9487020?hl=en#zippy=%2Chow-rcs-chats-work%2Chow-do-i-turn...
Rico24
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones
OK, RCS . Thank you.
0 Likes
Rico24
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones
My RCS was already enabled but every text I sent here in my home over Wi-Fi is showing SMS and MMS why is this
0 Likes
DanG92263
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S Phones
If Google Messages can't send the text via RCS, it will default to SMS/MMS.
DanG92263
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Also, Google Messages uses symbols to tell you this, not words.

Screenshot_20231008_153338_Edge.jpg
Solution
VerbumVeritum
Options
Galaxy S Phones
From the Google Message home screen, select your profile icon>Messages settings>RCS chats. Make sure this is enabled. Individuals on the other end of texts can disable this feature, so with some contacts you wouldn't necessarily be able to tell if they're read or not.
Rico24
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones
OK, RCS. Thank you
Rico24
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S Phones
One more question in order for me to see the delivered and read my girlfriend also has to switch her to the RCs correct?
Actually it's because of her that I swapped today I was going through her phone because she asked me to to cut down on all the notifications and I noticed that she had two messages on there and I looked at it and it was Google message which I didn't know even existed so that's why I'm looking into this thank you
VerbumVeritum
Options
Galaxy S Phones
Yes, she must have RCS chats enabled and the relevant settings toggled on.