Original topic:

Received a security code for a text app I don't have

(Topic created: Sunday)
Beckie1956
Halo
Options
Galaxy S21

I'm becoming a regular here. I woke up to a text message with a security code for Telegram. I don't have any message apps except Google text. I'm telling y'all I live this nightmare every single day. I go to my Google email accounts &check security and all the bells :bell: and whistles. I see šŸ‘€ scammer/hacker signed in and used my phone :mobile_phone:. So all morning changing passwords. My question is can these hackers/scammer get to my phone if it turned off šŸ¤” 

The other suggestions I thought of was changing my phone number, BTW I received 354 calls in August. Do I have to do a factory reset to kill these minon :nigeria: Nigerians from this repeat behavior? I'm tired of this, idk what to do. 
I really appreciate your support TIA, Beckie 
0 Likes
13 Replies
meself
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S21
Question is how did they get on your device or know your number first task is to stop it go in settthan apps and look for any app you did add beyond the normal second change your password add numbers to it 3rd make sure your updated with monthly updates and Google play services
Beckie1956
Halo
Options
Galaxy S21
The scammer/hacker stole my identity, my info is on the dark side. My emails and my data are scrubbed and scanned by a 3rd party recommended by the technical gurus and government agencies.
The_Chief
Comet
Options
Galaxy S21
You haven't taken your phone to any "budget" phone repair center, have you? An unscrupulous tech would have the ability to access your device, clone your SIM, and copy your files. Without additional insight from you, we're all really guessing here.
Beckie1956
Halo
Options
Galaxy S21
No I have not. Just the Samsung tech and this started over a year ago with my identity theft and everything was hacked.
0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S21

Never change your passwords on a compromised device.  Find another device and use a different method for receiving your code, such as an alternate email address or a passkey app. Passkeys bypass the need to receive a code on your phone.  If you think your phone is compromised as well as your accounts, factory reset your phone and set it up from scratch. If it would not be too much of a hardship for you to change your number, you should probably do so.  I would also create brand new Google and Samsung accounts.  

If your phone is off, they should not be able to access it, but it's possible.  More likely they cloned your phone which is why your accounts are showing your phone was used.  You can sign all devices out of your Google account remotely, by signing into your account, looking for devices and sign out everything that is currently logged in and don't log in again until you are sure your account/phone is secured, or you created a new account to sign into.

Beckie1956
Halo
Options
Galaxy S21
I have 2FA, and passkey. I'm glad to know about the phone being off but as you said they most likely cloned my phone. I am going to create new Gmail addresses. And tomorrow I will get my number changed. I also put my apps in secure locked :locked_with_key: folder. Factory reset would really be a royal pain šŸ˜¢ if I change my number, and create new email :e_mail: addresses would that make it safe?ty for your help.
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S21

Provided there is no spyware embedded in your hardware, those are reasonable measures. Nothing is guaranteed. You may want to turn on app protection and run a scan to see if there is any actual malware on your phone. If you can, use smart switch to back up your messages, photos and documents and contacts to an external device, so if you find you do have to reset your phone, you won't lose all that.

Beckie1956
Halo
Options
Galaxy S21
I have my tablet so I can create new email addresses on it and then add to my phone. I scan daily. What a nightmare. Ty again for everyone's input. I used smart switch from phone to tablet not long ago. Tomorrow I'll go through my tablet to ensure no shadow scammer/hacker is on that.
0 Likes
meself
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S21
On your phone in settings make sure you goto Google accounts and sign out before you change and if you don't want the current Gmail anymore can delete it in your account when signed into site