JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Samsung S21 Ultra 5G (and eventually S23) - Safe filter for taking Solar Eclipse shots?

(Topic created: 10-09-2022 07:04 AM)
EwanRGR
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

Annular Eclipse about this time next year in Texas, and a full-on eclipse in 2024. I have an older camera I have been holding onto because I wasn't sure if there was anyway to get a decent eclipse shot with the S21 I have, or the S23 I am expecting to get next year.

Wondering if there is a filter system that can be placed over the entire camera bump that would allow for a safe pic?

FWIW, I have a 77mm solar safe filter that works with the old camera. I've looked to see if there is something that would go over the camera block since that is large enough to cover all the lenses. But so far, no luck.

12 Replies
Mikeso3691
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S21
Will digital filters not work?? Make your own here, I love this feature for many reasons.

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00086009/
0 Likes
LongHiker
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S21

@Mikeso3691 "Will digital filters not work??"

No. Digital filters is all about post processing after the sensor has captured the image.

Pointing the sensor directly at the sun for extended periods of time can damage the sensor. You need a physical filter to greatly reduce the amount of light going into the sensor. 

Mikeso3691
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S21
I did not know this, thank you for explaining that.
user751201tmO21
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S21
Agree with @ LongHiker

Even with the professional grade cameras (we're Nikon fanatics here) we have , we always use physical filters to avoid damage
0 Likes
EwanRGR
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

SO, appreciate that we have all come to the conclusion that I need a physical filter for the S21 cameras. Can anyone recommend a filter set that will work? I did see that Samsung at one time offered a frame for the phone that could hold a filter, but it's not showing as available anywhere. Fotodiox has their "Ninja" accessory that is essentially a magnet with a circular top to screw a 77mm filter onto - but it looks like you have to pick which camera the hole in the back of that goes over. Anything actually made to properly cover the square photo "bump" so you can use all of the cameras?

0 Likes
LongHiker
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S21

@EwanRGR Moment is a big innovator in lenses for mobile phones. It looks like Moment makes a case for the S21 Ultra. They make several lenses. Maybe they have one appropriate for solar photography. 

0 Likes
EwanRGR
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

Unfortunately, it does not seem like they offer a sufficiently dark (ND10000 or above) filter for taking a safe shot of the sun. Nor do they appear to offer an M-Series lens that would take such a filter. Thanks anyway...

0 Likes
bill-e
Epic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S21

Could you hold a welders glass lens in fron of the lens.  Years ago I popped the lens out of a welding helut and used it for an eclipse photo.  I was young and don't recall how well it worked. 

** If my response helps, please click on Like (Heart). If I resolved your issue also please click on Accept as a Solution so that others can benefit.

Bill
---
Galaxy Fold 5 512g(VZW), Galaxy Book (original, VZW), Tab S8 Ultra, Tab S4, Galaxy Watch6Classic 47mm(VZW), Galaxy Watch5Pro(VZW), M8 Smart Monitor
0 Likes
EwanRGR
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S21

Yes, you can hold the 77mm filter in front of the cameras. The problem is you now need one hand to hold the filter, one hand to focus and steady the shot, and one hand to hold the phone. That's one more hand than I have 🙂

Below shows what happens when you try - you'll notice that there is enough of a gap even holding it against the camera that you get some light reflections from the other cameras on the camera block. Hence why I am looking for a better solution.

20221009_085827.jpg

0 Likes