JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

How does one move files from DCIM to the Images folder?

(Topic created: 08-05-2022 01:46 PM)
Djard
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22

On my S22, I am unable to move JPG files from the DCIM folder to the Images folder. I long press a file in the DCIM folder, tap "Move" then navigate back to the "Image" folder in the Categories page. But by then, "Move here" is grayed, even though a tiny thumbnail of the item I selected appears at bottom left. Both the user guide and global manual offer no help.

Now I can move files about on the S22 by connecting the device to a PC and use Windows' File Manager, but surely it's possible to manage files on the S22.

If anyone has figured out how to move files on the S22, please share the secret.

11 Replies
usermzeJaY3BsM
Black Hole
Options
Galaxy S22

The images folder, in categories, is a combination of all locations images are found on your device.  This folder is not an actual folder, and will not appear when copying files in windows.  You cannot move files to this folder from a folder it is already viewing.  You are essentially trying to move a file from the folder it is in TO the folder it is in.

Volkswagen7
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S22
You are absolutely right, he needs to understand the file structure hierarchy on android.
There is no "image" folder that comes out of the box. Unless one creates one.
The other replier suggested to install file manager. My suggestion would be the same (but not R-Exp) like a dual panel FM. And then copy/move from one side to the other. So one clearly can see the existing tree of folders. File Manager showing unaccessible root directory can only confuse novice, hence unnecessary & counterproductive. Unfortunately most of the dual panel file managers do show root directory.
Teknician
Comet
Options
Galaxy S22
Use Root Explorer as your file manager and your root directory will be under SDCard. It'll allow you to do all of your cut, copy and pasting with being locked out, which really makes no sense to me, at all. You do not need to be rooted. Screenshot_20220805-155149_Root Explorer.jpg
0 Likes
Volkswagen7
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S22
This is the last file manager I would suggest/recommend to anyone for issues described in the OP
Teknician
Comet
Options
Galaxy S22
That's kinda odd since I've been a senior member of XDA developers since 2006, rooting, romming, and testing on different phones and OS development, and we've included this and many different builds.
Not sure what the issue is. Can you explain?
0 Likes
Teknician
Comet
Options
Galaxy S22
Just in caseScreenshot_20220805-164313_XDA Developers_10296_1659732557.jpg
0 Likes
Teknician
Comet
Options
Galaxy S22
I personally use FX and have for years just because of the dual pane, but I was under the impression that's they've created an "Images" folder, and now for some reason, does not have write access.
0 Likes
Teknician
Comet
Options
Galaxy S22
OH..... UGH, I do apologize. They're trying to move a folder into a catagory. That "Images" is just there as a catagory and NOT a folder. It collects images and shows you, quicker than trying to locate a specific image. It's only a library of collected images on your phone, not a folder.

I am so sorry. That's honestly my fault for not getting the issue, the first time.
0 Likes
Solution
smbj_1005
Comet
Options
Galaxy S22
Just open "My Files" and make a folder, name it Pictures or Photos then move your jpg files to that folder