JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Independent validation of Protect Battery option?

(Topic created: 04-02-2022 02:44 PM)
requa
Comet
Options
Galaxy S22
I generally understand the idea behind the Protect Battery option -- that avoiding stress caused by consistently charging to 100% can prolong battery life in the long run. However, older "wisdom" regarding battery health also suggested limiting charge cycles by charging and discharging more fully. Have you seen any recent independent testing reports comparing charging routines including PB and declaring a best practice? PB sounds logical, but so does the alternative. 
Thanks

Dan
Galaxy S22 SM-S901U on Xfinity Mobile
12 Replies
Solution
Options
Galaxy S22
Not all batteries are the same. Would you treat your phone's battery like your car battery? Of course not. Even good practices become actively harmful if not put in proper context.

https://www.androidauthority.com/maximize-battery-life-882395/

Just read this. It gives you the best practices you need and also stops to explain the whys.
01RC
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S22
Agreed 100%
0 Likes
requa
Comet
Options
Galaxy S22
Thank you! That is exactly the type of information I was looking for. I have enabled Protect Battery on my S22 and will do the same on my wife's phone. We already moved away from leaving phones charging overnight, so that was a step in the right direction. As I suspected, the older wisdom I mentioned above made sense with battery technology at the time but not with modern batteries.
Dan

Dan
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S22
No problem, you have people my age parroting that myth for whatever reason, even if they've never popped the hood open. It boggles my mind because I know that the standard recommendation was partial charges for laptops, before tablets and phones took over.

Just how did this obnoxious wisdom take over?

Anyway, one thing you'll want to note is what it says about fast charging.

NOT ALL FAST CHARGING WORKS THE SAME WAY

And it should. The USB-C standard defines how it should work and work safely. But phone manufacturers sometimes have their own ideas. Samsung is good about it, but they also don't tell you what their "Fast Charging 2.0" actually does.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_hardware#USB_Power_Delivery

As far as I can tell, your S22 definitely supports PPS. AVS and EPR are also very likely. What that means is the advice about voltages is also slightly out of date (not wrong), because the phone is already applying that best practice before you knew it existed. You do need to make sure that your cable and adapter support USB 3.2. Not all cables are made equally
requa
Comet
Options
Galaxy S22
Thanks again. I won't claim to understand all of this but at least I feel like I'm on the right track, including using high quality chargers, cables, and backup batteries (Samsung, Anker, and similar reputable brands).

I think I'll pass on the USB-powered vacuum cleaner for now 😁

Dan
0 Likes
PaperStation
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S22

The downside of going thru all the steps of protecting the battery like limiting yourself to 85% charge is that in the end you never got to enjoy the battery when it was 100%.  Battery replacements isn't even all that  much or even that hard to do if you really wanted to do so as well.

0 Likes
SuperOvni
Supernova
Options
Galaxy S22
I have never had problems with my batteries in the Samsung and I almost always have my phone on a charger, whether in the office, in the car, in the kitchen, etc etc.
requa
Comet
Options
Galaxy S22

Thanks to all for the insightful input. I tend to agree all around, believe it or not. @Idonthaveaname gave good information on why the 85% limit actually does provide a benefit for modern devices and their batteries and I am now convinced that doing so will extend the battery life. I agree with @PaperStation  that artificially restraining the device in pursuit of improved spec performance elsewhere can defeat the purpose of having a flagship in the first place, and like @SuperOvni  I have never run into personal difficulties despiute a somewhat cavalier charging routine. For my needs, I'll try the Battery Protection for a while since I realistically believe it won't crimp my style, but if it does (if I find myself fretting about needing to top off too frequently), I'll revert to full charging trusting the technology baked into my S22, Samsung 25W charger, and Anker C-to-C cable (longer than the one that came with the phone) to do the charging properly without significant damage to the battery. Thanks to all for your contributions to this discussion.

Dan

Dan
userHd7zCjS0Kw
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S22

Just seemed worth mentioning that it might be good try 85% max, to see if you actually need more charging.  I'm amazed and delighted at the battery life in my S22-U.  Even at 85% max charge, I'm finding it isn't anywhere near needing a charge before I go to bed at night, and I think of myself as a pretty heavy user.  (OTOH, I never watch movies, etc. on my phone, so YEMV.)  I also find it comforting that someday, when my battery is getting old, I can switch then to 100% max charge, to have a little more in the tank until I get around to changing the battery.