JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

Is there any chance Samsung will enable the FM chip in device?

(Topic created: 08-28-2023 07:51 AM)
gee2u
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S22
When I had an S10 a couple of years ago, I could use the on board FM chip. I gotta say it was a great experience. Not having to go online for various local radio stations. No cell service, no problem. I'm really upset that my S22 Ultra can't do this because either the provider or manufacturer has chosen not to enable the chip's capabilities. What a waste. Does anyone have any idea why it's not enabled?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
VerbumVeritum
Galactic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S22
This could have been disabled due to the removal of the 3.5mm headphone jack. The headphones acted as a sort of antenna for the FM signal. It might also have to do with certain FCC restrictions, regulations, licensing fees/royalties, or even competition. Theoretically, less money is made when individuals have "free" ways of listening to music/shows/podcasts. Regardless of the reason, I don't think the FM chip is going to be reenabled for US models anytime soon. 😢

View solution in context

1 Reply
Solution
VerbumVeritum
Galactic Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S22
This could have been disabled due to the removal of the 3.5mm headphone jack. The headphones acted as a sort of antenna for the FM signal. It might also have to do with certain FCC restrictions, regulations, licensing fees/royalties, or even competition. Theoretically, less money is made when individuals have "free" ways of listening to music/shows/podcasts. Regardless of the reason, I don't think the FM chip is going to be reenabled for US models anytime soon. 😢