Original topic:

S-Pen smell

(Topic created: 02-08-2023 09:32 AM)
Sellonis
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S22
This is going to be a weird question for the community... Has anyone with a S22 Ultra noticed a funny smell with their S-Pen? I noticed it a few weeks after having first started using mine and the smell has never finished at all.

I've assumed this whole time that this is normal but thought that maybe I could have a fringe case. It's a smell that reminds me of over heated/burning electronics and the wheel is there every time I remove the S-Pen for use.

I never had this with my Note 20 Ultra but I am also aware that the S-Pen in that device is not identical to this newer one.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
NetWrkGuy
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S22
I have a Note 20 5G Ultra. I juat smelled my S Pen
It is a heated plastic smell that you are smelling. If you are worried. Take rhe S Pen out and leave ut sitting next to your phone to let it cool down.
I would definitely take out the S Pen when you are chaeging your device. My phone occasionally gets hot when charging so I remove my s pen. Not having it in helps the device cool down faster with a cylindrical hole running the full length of the device.

View solution in context

7 Replies
Cuchulainn
Comet
Options
Galaxy S22
I have noticed that as well. It is a very odd smell. A bit like burnt electronics, though my phone and S-pen seem to both be working fine
Sellonis
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S22
100% agree the pen and phone both work just fine. I'm curious to know if this is a quirk of the better battery life in this new S-Pen is better and it has a little more tech in it anyways. It's reassuring that at least one more person is having the same experience. I greatly appreciate the reply!
0 Likes
notforhire
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S22
I heard about this last year, though I haven't noticed the same with my device or pen.
Sellonis
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S22
Now that's interesting. I wonder if there are slightly different variations of the pen or maybe just the internals that charge the pen? I do have to hold the pen fairly close to my face to smell it. I was scratching my nose and had the pen in have the very first time I ever noticed it.
0 Likes
NetWrkGuy
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S22
Us it a "burnt plastic" type of smell??
Solution
NetWrkGuy
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S22
I have a Note 20 5G Ultra. I juat smelled my S Pen
It is a heated plastic smell that you are smelling. If you are worried. Take rhe S Pen out and leave ut sitting next to your phone to let it cool down.
I would definitely take out the S Pen when you are chaeging your device. My phone occasionally gets hot when charging so I remove my s pen. Not having it in helps the device cool down faster with a cylindrical hole running the full length of the device.
Samsung_Moderator
Community Manager
Community Manager
Options
Galaxy S22

Hello, I can definitely understand the concern with this smell. Can you send our moderators a Private message with the model and IMEI of your device. We'd like our specialized team to look into this for you. If you'd like to skip talking with us and go directly to the specialized team, you can speak with them by calling 1-800-726-7864.