Original topic:

Modes and Routines

(Topic created: 7 hours ago)
PoorGuy
Halo
Options
Galaxy S23
Wondering if anyone out there has had successful experience using Modes and Routines to get notifications while driving to read out aloud on older vehicles with early Bluetooth capability. I have been able to compensate by using a Roav Bolt and the Free Notification Reader app. But the set up has it's quirks. I would like to improve my set up if possible. But it does seem the FNR app is resolution due to the Bluetooth version. 
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S23
Well, any notification i get at any time is usually not very important, so I'm not particularly curious about it if I'm driving. If I happen to be curious, I can just glance at my watch when I'm stopped. If at any point I use Android auto, there's a setting to read my messages. If you put your phone in a cradle and have your notification read out loud, you should still be able to hear them even if it doesnt go through the car speakers.
0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S23
Have you tried this routine?
If: driving (detect vehicle), if: Bluetooth device connected (car name) then: read notifications aloud (select apps).
0 Likes
PoorGuy
Halo
Options
Galaxy S23
Yes I have tried it. And just having the notification read aloud doesn't work for me. I find a cradle inconvenient and even in a cradle, if a loud song is playing, the windows open and passengers talking, the phone volume does not sound over the music even with the loudest notification sound. l carry my phone in a holster. Pulling over is not convenient either when you're texting back and forth. And while most of my texts can wait, there are situations and times when I need to hear them and be able to respond quickly. I was hoping someone would have an idea that has not come to me yet. But I've tried pretty much everything and no one has come up with anything that I have not tried already. Thanks for your help
0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S23
Have you tried android auto?
0 Likes
PoorGuy
Halo
Options
Galaxy S23
Tried it. It was okay. Call me quirky but I don't like running an app that I don't need open and using up data and battery. Plus you have to set your destination which I don't necessarily want to do if I know where I'm going and how to get there. My desire is to make the process as automated as possible. If my Bluetooth version wasn't so old, I know Modes and Routines would work. What's needed is for Samsung programmers to make this backward compatible. There are designers of apps that are doing it. But admittedly, apps can be a bit troublesome
0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S23
You do not have to use maps to use Android auto. And i have found battery resources to be negligible. But I dont use it for other reasons.
0 Likes
PoorGuy
Halo
Options
Galaxy S23
How old or new is your vehicle? Android Auto won't connect to my car
0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S23
2017 I can't connect AA via BT, has to be bu USB, ehich is why I just find it easier to navigate with the phone in my bag, since I don't actually need to see the map and I can hear the directions just fine even with a loud radio. Besides, even if uou don't like the cradle, you can always use a single ear bud to listen to your notifications.
0 Likes
PoorGuy
Halo
Options
Galaxy S23
Mine is 2008 Bluetooth version 2.0, no USB connection only a 3mm aux jack which even using an adapter texts will not play through when in radio mode. And I've never been comfortable with buds of any kind. And while a bud might be convenient, the radiation they generate can be very high.
0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S23
Wel, then no solution will be acceptable to you, except, perhaps, getting a newer vehicle. Sometimes we just have to make do with the options at hand. You could try bone conduction headphones, they don't block the ears, are legal for driving and we're all going to die from something, so the teeny tiny bit of radiation that modern BT gives off is not even in the ballpark of what's going to kill us first.
0 Likes