JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

My S23 Ultra screen dims in bright sunlight

(Topic created: 09-26-2023 11:38 AM)
kmb1
Star
Options
Galaxy S23
Hello everyone. Today I was outside reading some articles on my S23 Ultra, when all of a sudden, the screen was so dim I could barely read it. The brightness slider said it was optimized for the brightest display possible. Does anyone know why this happened?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
VerbumVeritum
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S23
To answer your question, you should never leave your phone in direct sunlight.

View solution in context

7 Replies
LongHiker
Options
Galaxy S23

@kmb1 It may have been because your S23 Ultra got warm and screen brightness was reduced so that it wouldn't overheat. Or maybe the battery was low and triggered some battery saving techniques.  

kmb1
Star
Options
Galaxy S23
It did get noticeably warm in my hand, and my battery is almost full. After I brought it inside for a few minutes and took it back outside, it stayed bright again, so I believe your first thought was correct.
How would you know how long you could keep the phone in the sun before this started happening? I'm assuming there's no way to get around this auto - dimming, either, since it's obviously there to protect the phone. Thanks for the info.
Solution
VerbumVeritum
Options
Galaxy S23
To answer your question, you should never leave your phone in direct sunlight.
kmb1
Star
Options
Galaxy S23
Right. I grew up in west Texas, so I learned early on to never leave ANYTHING in the sun lol. But in this case, I was holding the phone the entire time; I apparently lost track of time (that kind of thing happens when you get my age). Thanks!
notforhire
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S23
I assume you don't have the display set to automatically adjust to ambient light?
kmb1
Star
Options
Galaxy S23
Right. When this happened, I turned it off, and then back on again, but it didn't make any difference. I'm sure I just had it in the direct sunlight too long. Everything's back to normal now. Thanks!
notforhire
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S23
excellent (and has happened to me too here in North Texas)