JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

S23 ultra camera over exposed

(Topic created: 05-17-2023 09:30 PM)
Ash45
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S23

Notice top three window panes on the right side. There are bricks on the wall but in the picture it's totally blown up.

Is anyone facing camera oversaturation issue with s23 ultra ? 
148 Replies
VerbumVeritum
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S23
I really appreciate you uploading those. It looks like some sort of compression is happening when the pictures are being sent. Reach back out to your carrier and request advanced/tier 2 tech support. You shouldn't end the call until they have this problem fixed, or at least are moving forward with an official support ticket/investigation. Since this is also happening in Safe Mode, you know this isn't a 3rd party app (and it's very unlikely to be a hardware concern). This is their problem to resolve, do not let them deflect blame.
0 Likes
ek7
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S23

The S23U RAW file is not truly "RAW". There is some post-processing going.

I switched to GCAM 8.4 with skyking_14 xml and it looks more natural and well-balanced compared to samsung stock camera. All this hype around S23U camera made me buy one, but probably going to return it because our primary reason buying it was the camera. I only want real RAW file without overprocessing. Now I am testing Xiaomi MI13 and the photos are better and more natural.

m005kennedy
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S23
Raw images tend to look kind of low contrast and flat. Thar is because it has all the information that comes from the sensor. The beauty of Raw is you can put it into an image editing program and have the full data captured is the camera to make into how you want to look not how the camera thinks it should be. Other image formats such as jpg throw away a lot of the image. If you learn how to do it you will get a higher quality end result for raw than you can from the jpg file format
0 Likes
spagoot
Astronaut
Options
Galaxy S23
Just a heads up: you may want to read this and related threads as much of this has been covered. It's not a lack of expertise on the user side
0 Likes
JoeBlackFox
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S23
In some cases, preview images in Expert RAW look very different from final pictures on my Galaxy S23. I took pictures of a light colored glossy object in the bright sunlight near the window. The background was in the shade and I saw a nice, very contast picture in preview with a bright, light colored glossy item on the black background. But the final picture was very disappointing. Expert RAW did postprocessing and it made the picture much less contrast. It looked flat, the background was not dark anymore and the item looked overexposed. I thought that the problem could be in the HDR feature, I disabled HDR but received the same result again. It looks like the problem is in postprocessing. It does not work correctly in some specific cases.
0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S23
Galaxy s23 photos are sometimes very noisy on the front camera and mostly in 3rd party apps 
Please show how I can fix this if an update won't be pushed 
Derrickguy
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S23
Hi Samsung,

Love your cameras; the vibrancy, dynamic range, etc... but there's one thing that you all can do, and I know you can achieve this because you did it with the S22 Ultra. Please reduce the exposure/brightness of the photos. 90% of the shots are far too bright. Most people on Twitter is saying this as well. Photos being too bright reduces details and over expose most shots while also creating a haze in the foreground of the photo. I know why you're doing it. You're doing it to aid with dynamic range, but it's not needed. Add more contrast, and reduce the exposure. Overall, thanks for all you do. Your devices are great. 
Derrickguy
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S23
I shouldn't have to change anything though. The phone shouldn't over expose most shots. Auto mode is for people who wants quick point and shoot and too bright photos ain't cutting it. All they have to do is decrease the exposure and their camera will be complete. I'll be back with examples
Derrickguy
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S23
First shot is straight from the camera app, second shot is with the exposure slider down. Which one looks better? Straight from the camera app, the photos look ashy. When you reduce the exposure, the shot looks far better. 20230516_103140_1000004553_1684247500.jpg20230516_103138_1000004552_1684247517.jpg20230516_102951_1000004550_1684247391.jpg20230516_102954_1000004551_1684247394.jpg
userH3Gxp39sjY
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S23
Completely agree. It's the same with video as well. My old S10+ has better contrast. It makes videos look washed out. I have to remember to lower the exposure each time rather than just point and shoot like with the S10+.

This is a screenshot of a video from the S23U with the exposure turned all the way down and a screenshot from the S10 straight out of the camera. The S10 still has better contrast, even though the trees are oversaturated and less detailed. If the contrast for the S23 could be increased, it would be incredible.VideoCapture_20230523-190525_1000043137_1684879408.jpgVideoCapture_20230523-190527_1000043138_1684883542.jpg