JUMP TO SOLUTION Solved

Original topic:

S23U Metric/Imperial system missing, the region doesn't help in setting the right system. Bug?

(Topic created: 03-05-2023 07:51 AM)
d4m4g3
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23

I got my new S23U, set it to English US like any other smartphone ever from all brands, including Samsung. All was good until I saw that every 3rd party app and the Camera show feet/miles instead of meters/kilometers.

I live in a EU country where we use the metric system, so I want kilometers and meters.  Any person should choose the metric system the Android/OneUI uses as they want which shouldn't be dependent of language/country and so on since people travel, move, want to learn and so on.

In Settings in Samsung Account the Country/Region is set to my country but this doesn't help. The location doesn't help. 

I changed to English UK and this way I only got the Camera app - the Portrait module to show 1-1.5 meters away instead of feet. But ALL the other apps show miles/feet as before - these apps are usually social media apps (Facebook, Messenger, Snapchat, Tinder, and many more) and don't have a setting themselves for metric/imperial units, so they get that information reported by the OS somehow even if the settings are clearly for my country (the Country/Region option).

I think this is a BUG since I should be able to use ANY language and the English US is used by most even in countries that are not English speaking for the better translations and so on, but this while using the Country/Region option for their actual country so that ALL the units/currencies/stuff show for their country.

This seems like a bug, and Samsung Support on Twitter said something similar, probably a bug that makes the phone reports the wrong language/area to the apps. 

Also, it's weird the OneUI/Android itself doesn't have settings for this! The Samsung Health app has options for kilometers/miles, feet/centimeters and so on so someone at Samsung thought about this, but not enough to implement it in the OneUI as a global option.

Samsung, can you please look into this? This as a two step problem:

1. A bug that makes the Android report the wrong unit system to the apps, even if a general language or the Country/Region option are set to countries that use the SI measurement units

2. Adding the option in Android/OneUI to let the user manage this whatever the language/region they choose because there could be many reasons to use one or another.

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
LongHiker
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S23

@d4m4g3 Since this area is dedicated to US based Samsung products and services you may not find the answer you are looking for by posting to this site. I recommend that you post on a Samsung site dedicated to the EU area where you live. You will find more people with the information to help. 

View solution in context

2 Replies
Solution
LongHiker
Legendary Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S23

@d4m4g3 Since this area is dedicated to US based Samsung products and services you may not find the answer you are looking for by posting to this site. I recommend that you post on a Samsung site dedicated to the EU area where you live. You will find more people with the information to help. 

d4m4g3
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S23

Thanks for the answer! I understand that, but it doesn't matter too much if it's US and someone want EU, or it's EU and someone wants US units as long as it seems to be a bug and the option to explicitly set this at Android level is missing. 

I mean there's no option to change the measuring units whatever the country. And since the Android doesn't report them well... These are not related to a country, it's related to the OS for this phone. On older Samsung devices it worked flawlessly, including right now on S8, Note 3 and other.