Original topic:

Banding issue is not a Hardware issue. Check out the video I have made.

(Topic created: 02-27-2024 11:31 AM)
Its_aKaSh
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24

Hello All,

First check the video

https://youtube.com/shorts/XDCsUbBYHns?si=lH2Shy4LYT53SoKv

Hope you have watched the video now so - After reading posting several posts,threads I came to know that the banding we are getting due to SRGB color space which s24 ultra/S24 series using as it's default color space for SDR content.

I have checked the same with previous S series fold series and for those there are no banding though there also samsung used 8bit+FRC displays. it's happening because on previous devices they used DCIP3 colors on all accorss the device contents.

Now came to the point, The video I have made to show you guys that how DCIP3 color gamut present on HDR content can fix the banding issue.

It's clearly see that when I am playing the HDR content then display is showing DCIP3 colors and there if I am testing using https://testmyscreen.com/ then I am not getting any banding , it's preety smooth but when I am turning off the video, banding is again visible.

With hdr on via youtube video--

IMG-20240227-WA0008.jpg

Without HDR--

IMG-20240227-WA0002.jpg

I am requesting all of the members here , please don't get offended. I love samsung that's why I spend lot of money on it. Just see the facts and share your opinion.

Requesting samsung to bring back DCIP3 colorspace for vivid mode on all over the device contents and keep the SRGB for natural mode. Please Samsung we need this as display is looking worse with those bandings.

36 Replies
Rydah
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S24
Hey there @Its_aKaSh, I hope you're doing well.
Thank you for taking the time to pull so much detail and information. I tested your theory and can confirm the same results and the display looks tons better while watching the HDR video. I will be suggesting that a moderator flags this post for the development team in hopes they can investigate this even further!
@SamsungRei, can you please flag this post for the development team to look into this and hopefully work some magic for the S24 line to improve the display?

Best regards,
Rydah
Samsung Care Ambassador

If you've found my post to be helpful, please like the post. If my response resolved your issue, please press the "✓ Accept as Solution" button.
Its_aKaSh
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24

Hey Rydah, 

A big Thanks first of all for listening.

We hope samsung will fix the issue soon.

Thanks Again .

rawshooter
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S24
Dertuk
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

Hello Rydah,

It is good to see that at least one display issue is acknowledged by someone from Samsung.

Another one, I think even more burning problem (as it is most probably HW driven), is the mura effect ("grainy screen") on many devices.

Will that be at least acknowledged by Samsung, or it will be swept under the carpet?

Thanks in advance!

KR,

Gábor

blackcemre
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

Hi, @Rydah and @SamsungRei  could you also solve this grainy problem?

Recently, reports among Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra users about a significant issue concerning screen quality have been on the rise. This issue, particularly evident when displaying dark colors like dark gray, manifests as a graininess or sandiness, noticeable at both low and high brightness settings. This situation degrades the expected quality of AMOLED screen technology, which is known for its deep black levels and high contrast ratio. Similar problems have not been observed in previous Samsung models such as the S23 Ultra and Galaxy S9 Plus, indicating that the current situation is unusual.

I support this issue with photos collected from different user forums and images taken from my own device. The photos demonstrate the reality and impact of the problem, showing that it is not limited to a specific group of users. The ineffectiveness of recent updates on the Korea to resolve the issue suggests that it is not a software problem but a hardware-related one.

One of the biggest disappointments is Samsung's lack of any official statement or satisfactory solution to address users' concerns. The suggestion by a moderator on the Samsung Korea Forum to use the device at maximum brightness and in light mode seems like a temporary measure rather than a real solution, raising concerns for users' eye health.

This situation reinforces the view that Samsung needs to be more transparent and effective in recognizing this widespread issue and finding an appropriate solution. Users deserve to know the cause behind the grainy appearance of the screen, which production batches are affected, and what steps Samsung is taking to resolve this issue.

Additionally, the presence of pixel-like errors that resemble shining dust inside the screen when exposed to direct light while the screen is off further increases concerns about screen quality. This problem has been observed not only in the S24 Ultra but also in other Samsung devices such as the Tab S9 Ultra.

In this context, we expect Samsung to make a clear statement about these issues, conduct the necessary investigations to identify the affected devices and batches, and take concrete steps to maintain customer satisfaction and product quality. As a user community, we are aware that such issues can harm the overall quality of products and brand perception, and we hope that Samsung takes these concerns seriously and provides effective solutions.

IMG_0355.jpeg

IMG_0356.jpeg

IMG_0378.jpeg

IMG_0317.jpeg

IMG_0319.jpeg

IMG_0307.jpeg

IMG_0305.jpeg

IMG_0301.png

IMG_0302.png

TheIronChef
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24

A huge thanks for acknowledging this issue and initiating the steps to hopefully get this eventually fixed!

Your response is a beam of shining light in a sea of generic copy/pasted Samsung non-responses regarding issues like this. 

Aebozkurt
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

Hi, @Rydah and @SamsungRei,

Like the banding issue many users worldwide face, I am also facing a grainy screen problem.

Samsung's attitude about this issue is disappointing. Many people worldwide write about this problem on forum websites and contact service centers, and we only get "it is normal for AMOLED screens" as an answer.

This is not the first time in our lives we have used AMOLED screens. This is called the Mura effect, and you know it. Moreover, you know this is not normal. There is no such issue on the S23 Ultra or iPhone when you give them the screens.

The Mura effect is not just a problem when we use the phone indoors with dark themes. Watching films/TV series with dark scenes , etc., is disgusting.

This cannot be normal for a phone that claims to have the "best screen ever." Even watching films or using dark themes on the A52s is better.

If Samsung keeps this attitude, they are going to lose many customers.

Its_aKaSh
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24

Hi Rydah,

Is there any update related to this issue.

Is developer team working on it?

Please fix this issue and provide us a option to use the color as as it was on previous model. 

I am attaching my s22 video where I have done the same test. 

https://youtube.com/shorts/3fNgj1to6eA?si=_f5KME2fHDNvY5Xl

Kindly check and let us know.

Thanks & Regards,

AKASH.

0 Likes
Rydah
Samsung Care Ambassador
Options
Galaxy S24
Hi there.

Unfortunately I've not heard anything in regards to this. I'll send another ping to the higher ups on Monday and see if we can get some attention to Samsung's dev team.

Sorry to report that back to you but I'm with you on this, I see potential for a better user experience when it comes to the screen.

Best regards,
Rydah
Samsung Care Ambassador

If you've found my post to be helpful, please like the post. If my response resolved your issue, please press the "✓ Accept as Solution" button.