Original topic:

Banding issue is not a Hardware issue. Check out the video I have made.

(Topic created: 02-27-2024 10:20 PM)
Its_aKaSh
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24

Hello All,

First check the video

https://youtube.com/shorts/XDCsUbBYHns?si=lH2Shy4LYT53SoKv

Hope you have watched the video now so - After reading posting several posts,threads I came to know that the banding we are getting due to SRGB color space which s24 ultra/S24 series using as it's default color space for SDR content.

I have checked the same with previous S series fold series and for those there are no banding though there also samsung used 8bit+FRC displays. it's happening because on previous devices they used DCIP3 colors on all accorss the device contents.

Now came to the point, The video I have made to show you guys that how DCIP3 color gamut present on HDR content can fix the banding issue.

It's clearly see that when I am playing the HDR content then display is showing DCIP3 colors and there if I am testing using https://testmyscreen.com/ then I am not getting any banding , it's preety smooth but when I am turning off the video, banding is again visible.

With hdr on via youtube video--

IMG-20240227-WA0008.jpg

Without HDR--

IMG-20240227-WA0002.jpg

I am requesting all of the members here , please don't get offended. I love samsung that's why I spend lot of money on it. Just see the facts and share your opinion.

Requesting samsung to bring back DCIP3 colorspace for vivid mode on all over the device contents and keep the SRGB for natural mode. Please Samsung we need this as display is looking worse with those bandings.

userHMlSmQS96l
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

I can confirm your findings. Atleast 50% brightness and gradient test full screen on testmyscreen.com. The YouTube video I used is Bali Real 8K HDR. Does this have something to do with great battery life when playing Videos Vs more battery used on static screen?

0 Likes
Camp Samp
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24

Great discovery! Banding gone

0 Likes
Galaxy Knight
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S24

Have you also noticed when you have picture in picture open in YouTube with one of these videos, the icons and UI turn super washed out? It basically looks like natural mode. When you close the picture in picture everything gets vivid again.

Other than it making the banding go away, is that what this post is also saying? Sorry I don't know much about the technical stuff mentioned. 

0 Likes
Its_aKaSh
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24

Yes generally in HDR mode we will see more colors in HDR content but in sdr content color will be muted little bit. But the problem is here with the colorspace not the HDR. S24 series is using @SRGB colorspace as it default but somehow maybe due to some calibration issue or maybe due lacks of wide color gamut it's not able to produce smooth grediant colors. So that I have made the post about it like how DCIP3 wide color gamut can solve the problem.

S23UwasBetter
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24

Why is it marked SOLVED?

Jkelley714
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S24
The fact that it took this long for a customer to notice this and a Samsung ambassador to bring light to it shows how awful Samsungs QC and software development team are this is ridiculous a 1400 dollar flagship with more bugs and defects than any budget phone on the market
S23UwasBetter
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24

Can confirm,  my budget A54 has a perfect flat 6.4" amoled display. That phone cost almost 4 times less

aoreilly79
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

I just tried this and verified that the banding disappears when watching an HDR overlay and reappears when closing it.  Nice find.  So there's hope they might fix this garbage.

0 Likes
Mic98
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
The new update has a vivid feature but doesn't really do much. Color is so awful I might return this! Such a weird marketing stunt that makes it try to look like apple but Why?...people that buy samsung generally don't like apples very controlling ios.
0 Likes
Cyd234
Cosmic Ray
Options
Galaxy S24
We don't like this "feature" please fix this! This would be my last Samsung if it doesn't get fix gonna jump to Pixel. Been using Samsung since s4... Upgrade from 22u and it had better display!?.