Original topic:

GPS location very unstable

(Topic created: 02-27-2024 08:36 AM)
Options
Galaxy S24

Just got my S24 Ultra and started to use. The GPS is very important to us as we travel and hike very often. Also, we take many photos and geotag them so we can see where we've been. First thing I notice is that my location is jumping around in Google Maps! My location isn't even close to my home, and it looks like I'm in other people's yards and bouncing all over the place. The precise location NEVER locks! This also initially happened with my galaxy S22U, but was eventually fixed.

I used the GPSTest utility to look at the gps data and the satellite acquisition is poor. Most of the L5 satellites are missing and Beidou satellites are far and few between. The gps accuracy and speed are jumping all over the place. My S22U accuracy was fixed at 8.4ft and speed close to zero, since not moving. My S24U accuracy is bouncing all over but typically around 33ft, and my speed can reach 10mph! This is completely frustrating. Anyone else having this issue, or did I get a bad phone? Zoom in down to the outline of your home to see this problem on Google Maps. 
By the way, I tested the the gps location accuracy using the Samsung phone diagnostics and it said "normal". Normal compared to what? Samsung, I hope you're seeing this, and please fix asap. I will be returning this phone if this basic necessity can't be fixed, unfortunately.šŸ˜ž
135 Replies
userjhF7JxN2Ns
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

I use GPS Status and Google Maps timeline feature mostly, also GPS Test (pretty interface) and GPSTest (minimal interface).

mbaier
Asteroid
Options
Galaxy S24
I have a note 20 ultra, since January update gps garbage. Spoke with samsung tech, no hardware issue detected. Verizon issued a replacement, same problem. Has to be an issue with update. We need this fixed
0 Likes
GodAshram
Halo
Options
Galaxy S24

Anyone else have their GPS off by about a mile with cellular? Wifi based seems OK if I turn off cellular, but turn it on and it throws me to the exact location about a mile away. 

G53
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24
Mine was. Are you using Google? Don't forget to take a picof your house or somewhere you know GPS is marked and verify address. Also, check your global positioning sensor. Also, magnetic energy can have some influence in the area. Hope this helps. Check for updates and again, it could simply be your app.
0 Likes
G53
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24
I had one other observation. If you have your data saver on, check the under apps in settings. Go to your
0 Likes
G53
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24
Apps, mobile, data saver and click allowed when Data Saver On
0 Likes
GodAshram
Halo
Options
Galaxy S24
Nope, what does help is literally waiting 5-10 minutes, the GPS eventually orients itself...

The incorrect location happens regardless of app(which, of course, they all use Google location services)
Also, gegardless of where in town I am, it ties location pretty much to that 1 spot. So, at work it's a mile off for a bit. 2 miles at home. 11 miles off at a 2nd job site, but after a while, it's back, but who wants to sit and wait 5-10 minutes. Sim card placed in my s22 and 2 razer phones works fine. Seems the s24 is struggling a bit to obtain a GPS lock or is prioritizing cellular above all else.
0 Likes
Ibuddy66
Galaxy
Options
Galaxy S24
This could be a variety of issues. One of the main issues is battery optimization of Maps. If you go to the settings menu, apps, then maps check the permissions you have set. Change to allow all the time for location. Also, make sure that it is able to access all other permissions required for proper functionality. Other than this. There are a few other steps we can take to check out what's going on too. I know it's frustrating as can be when this happens. It happened to me on a past device. But so far not on the S24 Ultra.
- Ibuddy66
Options
Galaxy S24

Thanks for the suggestions.

I added allow all the time location permission for Maps to see if that makes any difference. GPS tracking works fine for me sometimes and others, it is way off.

Never have had this issue with prior Samsung, Pixel, OnePlus or Apple mobile phones šŸ˜ž

0 Likes
Options
Galaxy S24
I appreciate the options you provided but unfortunately it didn't work for me! I'm glad it worked for you, though!
0 Likes