How to set default "save to" account for contacts

(Topic created: 12 hours ago)
Wiresplus
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

S24 Ultra

Hello,

Every time I go to save a contact, it asks me which account to save to. My S22+ saved to Samsung account automatically, how do I get this one to do that?

It is not in contacts app, settings, sync, ... i cant find it anywhere.

5 Replies
Solution
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S24

Open the Contacts App (not the contacts tab in the phone dialer).  When you open the contacts app, there will be a three horizonal line menu on the upper left above your name.  Click that and a slide out will appear.  In the oval window at the top it will say "all contacts".  Tap that window and a list of all the locations where contacts can be save appears (Google, SIM, Phone, Samsung account).  Tap on the one that you want to be your default location. That will appear in the window with the number of contacts currently in that location.  Next time you save a contact, it will automatically save to your default choice.  If you see you have contacts in multiple locations and want to have them all in the same place, click on manage contacts and then you can merge (which will eliminate any duplicates) or move (which will put them all in the same place.  If you choose sync contacts, they will either automatically sync to Google or you will be asked where you want them synced to.  

Wiresplus
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

Thanks! That worked

0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S24

FWIW, I think you should probably consolidate your contacts to Google, simply because if you ever leave the Samsung eco system, your contacts won't be retrievable (just like passwords in Samsung pass).  Google contacts are available anywhere - Computer or phone and easily readable, exportable and importable.

Wiresplus
Constellation
Options
Galaxy S24

Not keen. Google track and spy on everything, they're not getting my contacts. 

0 Likes
realaud
Honored Contributor
Options
Galaxy S24

Unless you turned off Google backup they have them anyway.  In any case, leaving them with Samsung keeps you married to the Samsung eco-system, as I do not believe they have an export function that would make your contacts usable on a non-Samsung device.

If you are so suspicious of Google, why do you have a phone with a Google operating system?  I hate to break this to you, but every electronic device you have spies on you in some way or another.  The price you pay for the convenience of technology is giving away bits of your privacy.

0 Likes